No.42

I'm so glad you exist

Draco is sat on an arm chair reading about poison and wishing he didn't have to. He can hear her as she sings upstairs, doing the finishing touches of her makeup and he lets out a sigh, dropping the book before heading up. He figures he can allow himself a minute being distracted by her.

She looks beautiful, her brown hair curling gently round her shoulder. A tight white dress with spaghetti straps on her body and makeup that positively glows. She looks radiant. Draco is 90% sure she could be a real life angel when she turns to face him.

"Okay, I'm going to leave in a minute," she informs. She was attending some dinner party that she really couldn't be bothered to go to but didn't want to decline Slughorn's offer.

"You look gorgeous," he smiles gently, she grins leaning up to press a kiss to his cheek.

He wraps his arms around her, allowing himself a moment of happiness and warmth in his currently dreary life. She smiles as she relaxes in her arms.

Emily Davies was not stupid. She could feel her boyfriend pulling away from her even if he thought she was oblivious to it. He hadn't held her like this in weeks. He barely even kissed her anymore let alone anything more.

He pulls away slightly, pulling a silver ring with green emeralds lining it off his finger, reaching for it and sliding it onto hers. "I'm so glad you exist," he admits, eyeing the ring on her finger. It was her favourite, the one she always fiddled with on his finger.

"The feelings mutual," she smiles, leaning up onto her toes and pressing a kiss to his lips.

"You should go, you'll be late," he mumbles against her lips the second any real heat begins to form. She pulls away with a deep exhale but Draco is right. She should go.

"I'll be back soon. You'll be here when I get back?" She questions

"I have to go to the library later. I'll be back before midnight though," he lies. She doesn't believe it. She knows though, that she owes him his secrets. She had hers last year. So she simply nods, grabbing his hand to give it a gentle squeeze before heading out.

**

Draco is surprised when he re-enters to find his girlfriend sat next to a crying figure comfortingly stroking the back of the shaking shadow.

"Hi," he speaks, alerting both girls of his presence.

Hermione Granger looks like a deer in the head lights when she sits up. Her eyes wide, slightly puffy from crying and rimmed red, mascara smudging on her cheeks and a blushed face.

"I can leave," she hiccups, although the look in her eye assures anyone she doesn't want to.

"It's alright 'Mione," Emily assures, pulling her best friend closer. "You're okay," she promises.

"Yeah, don't leave on my account," Draco assures "I'll head upstairs," he smiles gently, pressing a kiss to his girlfriends cheek on the way past the girls.

He lays awake in bed, staring at the ceiling, listening to voices from downstairs.

"I just- I don't understand why he doesn't want me?" Hermione cries out

"He does. He is just stupid and doesn't realise it yet,"

"But he looks at me like I'm the 11 year old girl he saved from a mountain troll,"

"One day Hermione, Ron Weasley will open his eyes and realise that a beautiful and intelligent young woman is right in front of him and he'll realise how fucking delusional he is," she assures

"Your friends with Lavender, since when was she interested? She makes everything so much harder. I'm not the only girl who wants him now and she's beautiful,"

"Lav is beautiful but she's a passing thing, someone who will be around temporarily, you and Ron are permanent. Maybe Lav will have him first, but you'll have him for longer and it will mean so much more,"

"I just wish he would see me,"

"I know, and he will eventually," Emily comforts.

Draco listens as the conversation continues. He listens as Emily makes up a bed on the sofa out of spare blankets and cushions. He listens as Emily speaks in a low gentle voice until Hermione's sobs quiet and are replaced with slow breathing, he knows she's probably stroking Hermione's hair comfortingly. He listens as she potters about downstairs, probably taking her makeup off, and as she sounds on the stairs. Watching as she drops the white dress off, pulling on a shirt of his.

She drops onto the mattress next to him. "I've never been more grateful for you," she admits, moving his arms to position himself in them. He wonders if she notices the small wince when her hand goes a little too close to the mark. She does, but says nothing.

It had been a while since Draco had held her but she wanted to lay in her boyfriends arms and had decided if he wouldn't start the moment then she would.

"Why?" He questions curiously as her head snuggles into his neck

"Don't have to go through all that," she shrugs casually "I get you at the end of every day and that's all I want," she adds, pressing a kiss to his neck.

"Yeah me too," he agrees "you are it for me," he finalises.

"You and I?" She questions

"You and I," he responds gently, pressing a kiss to her forehead

She smiles. It's the first time since the beginning of the school year that she has fallen asleep without wondering wether her and Draco would still be together in a weeks time.