No.85

If you think that's what is best for her I will do it

"Afternoon Lola," Emily grins waking into Weasley's wizard wheezes, George had offered her the morning off knowing she had been up all night sketching packaging for a new line of fireworks.

"Hey Emily, George is up in the flat, asked you go see him when you get here," the girl smiles before walking to go and help a customer.

Emily heads upstairs and into the small flat, walking into the living area that she can hear George pottering about in.

"Hey Georgie," she grins brightly. He seems slightly taken aback by her good mood and she raises her eyebrows in question.

"Please tell me you know something I don't," he speaks with a sense of urgency that disturbs her slightly.

"What are you talking about?" She questions

"You really don't know? He didn't tell you?"

"Has Ron broke by fucking DVD player again?" She questions with a groan.

George's heart drops. He did not want to be the one to deliver this news but clearly he would be.

Fred, George and Lee had a tradition since 5th year. They would read the weekly wedding announcements and bet on which stuffy pure bloods would marry each other. It was something Lee and George still did.

His heart had broken for her when he opened the paper this morning to see it.

A large photo of Draco Malfoy, he has his arms around Astoria's waist and her hands rest on chest. The movement showing them looking from each other to the camera. It's clearly a posed photograph and their smiles look fake but it's there all the same under the words

Greengrass to marry into the Malfoy fortune.

It was official. They were engaged.

Emily hadn't known what to do two weeks ago. Draco kissed her and then she didn't hear from him for a week. He sent her a letter apologising for leading her on and telling her he meant everything he said and he wished things were different.

"Emmie, have you seen the paper today?" He asks gently, gesturing for her to sit on the sofa which she does with a mildly confused look on her face.

"Didn't read it, saw the front page though." She shrugs.

"The thing is, their was an announcement-"

"What kind of announcement?" She questions cutting him off. She can feel tears threatening to flood her eyes, she had a feeling she knew what was coming and it made her feel sick.

"Engagement," he practically whispers.

"Draco? He?" She speaks so quietly he can barely hear. George nods and she feels the tears hit her immediately.

He sighs, pulling her to his chest and allowing her to cry into it wishing it was all completely different.

**

"What the fuck Draco?"

He turns at the sound of Hermione's voice. She's standing in st Mungo's  hospital with a scowl and her arms folded across her chest.

"Hermione, I-"

"You're an arse Draco Malfoy. Not for getting engaged, we all knew that was going to happen. Why the fuck did you think it was a good idea to kiss her two weeks before it happened!" She demands

"Can we talk in my office?" Draco questions, glancing around the corridor to check no one had over heard.

"Fine." Hermione agrees. She follows him down the hall and into a small square room. "Go on then, talk," Hermione demands

"I know it was selfish. I just- I needed to kiss her one more time. It makes me the worst person I know that. I should have prioritised her and what would make her happy but I just- I needed to do it one more time before I sign my life away to someone I don't want," he explains

"It was very selfish," Hermione declares, he can see though, can see the pity in her eyes.

"Hermione, I want her as much as she wants me. She's not the only one being hurt by all this. I want to marry Emily not Astoria. I know you all think I can just say no but I can't. I swear to you, Hermione if there was another way, I would do it. I want her. I want her so bad that it hurts,"

"I know that," Hermione sighs. The anger has left her body now. She's just torn. She feels sick at the thought of two people she loves being in so much pain.

"I need you to tell me what to do. I'll do whatever you say, I don't want to not have her in my life but if you think that's what is best for her I'll do it,"

"No. Why torture yourselves more? In the long term you'll both get busy and it'll dwindle but right now you need each other,"

"Does she know?"

"George told her. He called me to ask if I wanted to be there but I couldn't handle it. Makes me an awful best friend but I couldn't watch her heart break. Besides, I knew everyone would be there to comfort her today. Reckon you need someone here too,"

"Thank you. They all hate me now don't they?"

"They just need some time. I'll talk to them. They will understand. They know you are just as involved, know you want her just as much,"

Draco can't help the tears in his eyes but he knows she won't judge him. He allows her to pull him into a tight hug. Lord knows he needed it.