[TWILIGHT] Chapter 1 - Forks

My eyes went from left to right every time I stared at the trees that passed by, as the car drove off to a new destination. Head empty, I contemplated the city that was going to be our new home.

Forks.

After being promoted as a Chief detective, my mom, Heta BROWN, was transfered to Forks police station, which was the main and only reason why we were moving in. I've always been fascinated by her guns, her ability to defend herself and the people in need, and how no matter how horrible the cases could be, she liked being on the field instead of being trapped in an office.
I understood the meaning of "opposites attract" when I saw how different my mom and dad were. If my mom showed her affection discreetly or wasn't very sociable with anyone that was not family, my dad was all the contrary.

My dad, Hakeem BROWN, worked as a surgeon and would start his first day of work in two days at Fork's hospital. Both of them worked in fields, where they were constantly exposed to blood, and yet they made a person like me who was disgusted by the mere sight of it.

When the car slowed down and suddenly made a turn into the alley of a small house, I became more aware of my surroundings. I stared at the facade of the house, and looked around. The neighborhood looked calm, and was surrounded by the forest behind the houses.

Forks sure was a small and quiet city, which was a little scary to be honest.

According to my research, the sun only appeared 10 days a year, at most. The humidity here was no joke. I didn't like the cold nor did I like the heat which was why spring was my favorite season. Even though it seemed like Mother Nature didn't quite like me because I had to deal with pollen allergies.

The first thing I did when I jumped out of the car, was stretch my body, which caused a lot of bone cracking sounds.

"You'd say she's older than the both of us reunited." My dad joked as he looked at my mom.

" I'm getting older, you know ?" I shrugged.

My mom chuckled. "You turn 17 in a few days, what are you talking about ? Just wait until you turn 30."

"I might already be in a retirement home by then." I added while unloading the car with our luggages.

The furniture of our previous house was supposed to be delivered around the beginning of next week. Since we arrived on a Saturday, I guessed that today and tomorrow would be about unpacking and resting before meeting new people whether it was at work or at school.

I haven't located where the school was yet, but considering how secluded the neighborhood seemed to be, I assumed I wouldn't be able to catch a bus or even worse, walk there. My mom agreed on dropping me off before going to work until I got my own car. I'd arrive at school early but I didn't really have a choice.

My dad was the one who opened the front door and stepped in what would be our house for a long time. As I took my first step in, I sighed. It was time...to start all over.

~~

I realized once more how this city was small, when I found out that there were only 357 students in Forks High.
We were now 358.

Most people here seemed to know each other. They actually looked like even their ancestors grew up on this land. I started to doubting about the possibility of blending in right away, when a few glances were thrown my way in the corridor as I tried to find my way to my first class. I was the new kid, the new source of curiosity. If someone could just kill me already it'd be great.

Did I mention that it almost looked like I was the only black student here ? Because it did. I hadn't even seen a tan person yet.

According to the timetable I was given, my first class was Spanish with Ms Garcia. At least it wasn't a class I sucked at, early in the morning.
I loved learning languages. French wasn't an option in my old school, but here it was. When I was filling my subscription papers to school with my parents, I signed up for the French classes, because I thought it'd be a waste to stop learning and practicing a language just because it became an option. If I had to suffer while learning their conjugation for years, I better make something out of it. Besides, my good grades in these classes helped me compensate my poor skills and knowledge in other subjects.