Chapter 81 - Negotiation

Aiyanna

"Marry me."

"It's not funny, Edward." I answered, my voice firm.

He sighed. "You're wounding my ego, Aiyanna. I propose to you and you think of it as a joke ?"

"Because you cannot possibly be serious."

"I am. I'm sorry if I ever misled you into thinking that I would want anything else than being your husband." Edward answered.

There was no humor in his face expressions. He stayed as serious as when he asked me to marry him. I stared at him both dumbfounded and taken aback once realizing how serious he actually was, while his eyes were cautiously taking in my reaction.

The familiar heat in my insides was almost strong enough to reduce me to flames because of how warm it felt. My racing heartbeat didn't help in calming me down either.

I stayed quiet as it allowed me to get a hold on the feelings that were flooding through me.

Edward became the center of my life the moment I laid eyes on him for the first time last year. Imprinting on him made my world revolve around him and confirmed how choosing him was the best choice I have ever made in my life.

The prospect of marrying him became one of my life's purposes both as a human who never ceased to love him regardless of everything that happened since we first met, and as a werewolf trying its best to satisfy its soulmate's wishes.

"I'm only eighteen." I had to remind both him and I when I felt myself almost surrendering.

"And I am nearly a hundred and ten years old. Don't you think it is time for me to settle down ?" Edward asked.

"With an 18-year old ? There is no way this is legal."

Edward scoffed and found my hand with his. I watched his thumb stroke the back of my hand while feeling his gaze on the top of my head.

"Is that something you want to negotiate ?" Edward asked.

"I can't."

These words hurt because I could feel the effect they had on him. Edward's hand had frozen and the rest of his body went stiff as well. For a split second, shock froze on his face before he quickly composed himself.

"I refuse to accept marrying you on a bet. Propose to me differently and I might consider it." I rectified.

I felt Edward's muscles relax as he let out a laugh. The sound of his laugh brought the corners of my lips upwards, while I waited for him to calm down. Edward cradled my face in between his hands and let me stare deeply into his soon to be black eyes.

"Aiyanna Brown, will you do me the honor..."

"No."

Edward scoffed, unfazed by my abrupt refusal. In one swift movement, he fell on one knee, grabbing my left hand in his right one.

"Aiyanna Brown..."

"No !" I cut him off again, while setting my hand free to pull him up. "Now, get up."

Edward raised an eyebrow, questioning me. "Would you have been more inclined to say yes if I had come with a ring ?"

"Don't tell me you have one already."

Edward didn't answer and instead, gave me a smirk that answered for him. He did have a ring, waiting. How long had he been planning this ?

"What is it really about, Aiyanna ?" Edward asked me, on a more serious note. "Is it timing ?"