Chapter 48 - History

Just as any marking ceremony, Ricky's ceremony went on smoothly.

At least, that was what I wished to say.

As usual, we would gather at one of our houses and eat together after the ceremony to celebrate this new step in our lives. However, our houses were too small to welcome all of us in. Therefore, the other guys and I volunteered to let the elders, which consisted of the parents of the new-born wolf and the members of the Council, stay inside while we would eat on the porch.

Although the temperatures were getting warmer as the month of February went by quickly, we were still in the middle of winter, which made me feel grateful for our body temperatures.

This time, Ricky's parents welcomed us in their house. Along with Ricky, they also had a daughter who was 2 years younger than us, like Embry. Her uncomfort was seen in her posture. She was staring at all of us, as if we were crazy. This new change in her brother and her family, was probably too much to handle at once.

Suddenly, something changed.

A heart was beating faster. A faint gasp escaped someone's lips.

I jolt up on my feet while the boys' eyes followed my sudden movements, and I walked directly to the front door where my grandmother was standing on the other side of.

"What is it ?" I asked her, knowing the sounds came from her.

Her body was frozen and her eyes refused to blink as she stared behind me.

I followed her gaze only for my eyes to land on the framed portrait of a woman, maybe in her late 30's early 40's. She was looking directly at the camera, but wasn't smiling. There was nothing abnormal in that picture, nothing to surprise someone. She was probably Ricky's grandmother or great grandmother.

And yet, when I looked back at my Nana again, her eyes were filled with an emotion I couldn't decipher.

Was that woman an acquaintance ?

Judging by the quality of the photograph, it was probably taken at the time where Nana was also the same age as that woman.

"What is it, Nana ?" I reiterated my question.

As if she was indeed frozen, she didn't move nor look at me. She only seemed to come back to her senses when I grabbed her hand. The contact of her hands made her slightly startle. When she lowered her head, a tear escape her eyes and fell on our linked hands.

"Lenno ?" she let out in a faint whisper.

I was getting more and more concerned about her weird behavior. What was runing through her mind for her to be surprised in front of a photograph, to get as emotional as she was right now or to say my grandfather's name out of nowhere ?

"Nana, talk to me." I pleaded her.

I felt her startle at my voice, but the fact that her head was lowered didn't allow me to see her face expressions.

"Aiyanna. Bring me home, please." she said.

I obeyed as if I had received an order, and grabbed her coat to let her put it on.

I was compelled to leave without saying goodbye to the other families inside. Taking care of Nana was more important to me.

Except for Ricky, the rest of the boys were still on the porch. They must have heard us from inside, but the fact that Nana didn't even look up at them made them stare at us with worry.

Paul took a step forward, aiming to speak to her, but I shook my head in his direction.

"Later, Paul." I told him.