Chapter 25 - Decisions

Edward

The morning classes went by smoothly. Of course it did. The girl had been in none of my classes this morning.

My siblings and I sat in our regular spot during lunch time, waiting for Aiyanna to join us and waiting to see my reaction to seeing the girl again. In the middle of so many students, I believed her scent wouldn't get to me, so I wasn't as worried as my siblings were. Or should I say, as Alice was. She kept checking on her visions so much that I wondered if she was really with us.

"Alice, you're not helping me right now. I'll be absolutely fine." I groaned, annoyed.

She blinked once, and finally came out of the future to focus on the present.

"Sorry." she said.

Like Alice, I stayed alert. I checked other students' mind, trying to find that one person the girl had confided in about my behavior during our first encounter. I did this all morning, and yet, the most recurring thoughts were dealing with the snow that had fallen upon Forks last night and had covered the whole town in a white cover. No one paid attention to us, as if nothing had ever happened.

Technically, nothing happened but I knew she noticed my black and murderous glare, the way my body tensed next to her, or the way I suddenly covered my nose and mouth when she came close to me. Although her mind was shut to me, her body reacted to it. She had been scared, and yet nobody seemed to have any knowledge of what happened.

Either Bella didn't make any friends she'd be comfortable talking to, or she was extremely shy and kept everything to herself.

The doors opened on Aiyanna coming in the cafeteria, but her friends and the girl were nowhere in sight. A slight frown of confusion formed on my forehead, and I looked at Alice when I heard her chuckle.

"Aiyanna has been avoiding Bella all morning to not get her scent on her." she said.

"That's annoyingly cute of her." Rosalie commented.

Aiyanna walked up to us with not much food on her tray, while looking at me.

Do I have her scent on me ? - she asked through her thoughts.

I smelled in the air, but could only recognize Aiyanna's scent, and not the girl's one. I shook my head, and a proud smile appeared on Aiyanna's face as she walked up confidently to our table to sit in between Emmett and I.

"You don't need to do all that. I'm okay." I told her.

"If this is the only way for me to help you, then I'll keep doing it." she answered.

"She's coming in." Alice intervened, which made my whole body tense in anticipation. Maybe I wasn't okay after all. "Try to act human."

"Human, you say ?" Emmett asked.

Emmett held up one of his fists that he had been hiding in his pockets, to reveal the snowball he kept holding onto since earlier. With how cold our temperature was, the snow didn't melt in his hand. A smirk appeared on his face as he looked threateningly at Jasper. However, I found out who Emmett was really after while reading his mind. And so did Alice.

Emmett suddenly threw the chunk of ice in Alice's direction, but she avoided it before it could touch her. The ice shattered on a wall across the cafeteria at a speed that was too fast to any human eyes. The wall brick cracked at the sudden impact.

The students sitting near that wall looked around them in confusion, trying to find the culprit, but none of them thought of suspecting us.

"Very human, Emmett." Rosalie commented, scathingly.