Chapter 57 - Imprint

Edward's point of view

[2 days ago]

Twenty-six.

It was now the twenty-sixth time that my phone vibrated in my pocket in the past hours.

I was tempted the flip the phone to see who was trying to reach me repeatedly but my body never moved from its position.

Why would it ? Everything was meaningless.

I didn't know how long it has been since I fled from Aiyanna's life and my family. If someone should know that I'd never answer a phone call in my state, it'd be my family. However, they were one of the few people who had my number and would dare to call me this many times in less than 24 hours.

I found refuge in a basement from some sort of building where I could hear different families speaking either in English, Creole or Spanish. They were the only source of distraction that I had, alongside the activities of the rats and spiders crawling around me.

With time, they stopped paying attention to me. I was just another wall to crawl on to them.

With my arms around my knees and my forehead pressed against them, I wondered how long it'd take for me to stay in this position. How long I'd stay recluded from any sort of civilisation. How long the pain would persist. How long I'd miss her...

As I closed my eyes, I could see her face again. It was the only way for me to see her.

I knew deep down that I couldn't keep on doing this if I ever wanted to get better, but like an addict, I didn't find a way to stop going back to my addiction.

Maybe I should go back. Just to see her. She wouldn't even know that I came to check on her.

"But you know what ? If you go, you better never come back. Do as you said. I'm not going to stop you, because I know I can't. Do not ever check on me. Do not try to see my future through Alice. Do as if I had never existed as well. It'd be selfish of you to know about my whereabouts when I'd have no way to know about yours." I repeated the last words she had said to me like a mantra each time I thought of going back.

She was right. It would be selfish. If there was one thing I could do for her, it would be to respect her last wish. I made that promise to her, to never haunt her life again, and free her from the fear and danger my existence constantly brought into her life, whether I liked it or not.

She deserved that kind of life and so much more.

The phone vibrated again for the twenty-seventh time.

"Damn it." I growled while flipping the phone open to see who was going to distract me for the first time in who knew how long.

Alice.

Out of all the people who could've called, Alice would have been the less likely to do so, as she would see in advance if I would answer or not.

Seeing how she insisted, it meant that in one of her multiple visions she might've had to keep an eye on me, she saw me answer to one of her attempts.

I pressed send, and waited for her to speak.

"Oh, wow. You answered, finally. I feel so honored. You know I wouldn't bother calling you if it wasn't important." Alice started.

I sighed. What message did she have to pass along for her to insist that much ?

"What is it, Alice ?" I asked in a flat, emotionless voice.

"I'm taking the next plane to Forks. I saw Victoria. She's going back there, her mind set on revenge. We need to finish what we started and I was expecting you to come too."