Chapter 55 - Inevitable

Days have passed since I talked to the boys about my past relationship with the Cullens, and since then, everything had turned back to normal.

It took time, especially for Paul and Jared who I had been the closest to even before we turned, to stop avoiding my eye contact. For Embry, he admitted that he was disgusted at first, but quickly stopped caring about it. As for Jacob, he didn't care about it anymore either because now that he was aware that Bella knew more about this world that he thought she did, he was tormented as he tried to avoid spilling the truth about our kind.

Although it put Jacob in a difficult position, I was thankful that this rule existed. The last thing I needed was to have Bella in almost every area of my life.

This animosity between Bella and I...it all started when she started to lay her eyes on Edward. It was an animosity controlled by jealousy. But now that my heart healed from the hold he once had on it, I found myself questioning the relevance of this war between us.

Edward and the rest of the Cullens were never coming back. So, who were we fighting for ?

Bella had told me to move on but actually, none of us completely did. Everytime we'd see each other, we would be reminded of the past and keep on hating each other for something that was gone forever.

The only ones who didn't change around me were Sam, who was already aware of my past choices and Ricky who I was now, patrolling with.

From the beginning, his reactions had been different. Maybe the fact that we only got to know each other after he turned played a huge part on the fact that not once had he judged me for my choices.

"There was nothing to be judged in the first place." Ricky suddenly intervened.

It was too easy to believe that we couldn't hear each other's thoughts because we weren't close physically. While I was patrolling in Forks, Ricky was in La Push.

"Sorry about that." I told him, realizing that he had to deal with me, overthinking.

"It's okay."

I sighed. "I never found the right time to say this, but I want to thank you for standing by my side the whole time. It really helped me not feel like garbage."

Until the boys' anger towards me died down, Ricky always made sure that I never had the time to feel alone. From  always checking on me, even on days when our patrols didn't match, to conversing to me as if nothing had ever been said.

Ricky didn't answer right away. For a second I wondered if he had turned back to human, leaving me alone, but I could feel his presence in my thoughts, and see the images of the dark leaves his paws stepped on.

"There's no need for you to thank me, Aiyanna. I will always be by your side. As a pack member, as a friend...and whatever you want me to be for you."

The familiar tingling sensation in my stomach that always manifested in his presence surfaced again. From that night in front of my house when we indirectly confessed that we weren't indifferent to each other, this sensation stopped resurfacing that much around him. Maybe because I was getting used to him. But even though we knew what we thought and felt for each other thanks or because of the wolf telepathy, neither him nor I made the first step. And it was for one unique reason.

"I know what you think about this..." Ricky said. "...that it'd be cruel of you to wish for me to be something else than a friend or a pack member."

"I got to know what a heartbreak is. Who am I to inflict that to anyone I was not destined to in the first place ?" I answered.

"And what if someone was willing to try, despite the consequences ?"