[BREAKING DAWN] Chapter 86 - News

Aiyanna

The ring that looked so beautiful around my finger felt heavier now that I was sitting on the couch of the living room of my house, waiting for my parents to come back from the Clearwater's place.

My left hand was holding Edward's tighter every second that brought us closer to disclosing the news to my parents.

Our engagement.

Even more than that, our wedding.

I have been hiding the ring from my parent's sight for two days, timeline during which, Carlisle advised me to still remain careful and rest in addition to the three days of rest I've had since the battle.

"Are you nervous ?" Edward broke the silence while rubbing the back of my hand with his thumb.

Bringing my attention back to him, I exhaled, realizing that I indeed was more nervous than I thought I would be. There was no more beautiful news than what we were about to announce my parents, and yet, it also symbolized making a big step that was getting closer each day.

"Excited at the same time." I confessed.

Edward smiled and brought his hand to the side of my face to lean my head towards him and kissed my temple.

His happiness about our engagement has never worn off since...well, since we first talked about getting married. Who could blame him ? Once my parents would know about it and would bless our union as Edward wanted them to, I would also be overflowing with joy.

"Do you need a distraction ?"

Curious, I wriggled my eyebrows. "What do you suggest ?"

"A life together means that everything of mine is also yours, right ?" Edward answered cautiously, taking in all of my expressions. I nodded, suspicious. "I originally thought of forcing you to accept a new car as a gift but you barely use your own."

"It is useless. I have four legs to substitute. You don't have to give me anything Edward. Your life itself is enough."

As if he was disregarding what I just said, Edward continued. "Too late. I have an appointment tomorrow to put your name on a common bank account with everything I have."

"No !"

One of his eyebrows rose. "No ?"

"No."

I didn't know how much there was on that bank account but knowing how long he has lived, and judging by his lifestyle, it was probably way too much for me to accept.

"You don't have to give me anything Edward. I don't even think I have anything to give you back. I can't accept this."

"For you to think that I would expect you to give anything back to me, more than you've given me already, is offending." Edward answered, not far from rolling his eyes at me. "I love you Aiyanna and I want to share every part of my life with you. My financial ressources included. Isn't that what married couples do ?"

I should have seen it coming sooner. Materialistically speaking, Edward had way too much for me to accept and on top of that, loved offering gifts. And I guessed it was a family trait, because how could I explain the episode where Alice suddenly barged into my room yesterday, unloading the boxes of clothes she bought, some more expensive than others, to fill the wardrobe that looked a little too empty to her ?

Or on a more surprising note, the yellow Porsche that would arrive in the Cullen's garage in a week, as a gift from Edward to Alice. A gift that was actually intended for Jasper who was the one who took my pain away while Carlisle redirected my bones on my parents' couch. Jasper wasn't a fan of cars in the first place, but Edward knew that Alice was and making Alice happy was the best gift that could be given to Jasper.