Chapter 28 - Fight

Edward

"I'd like to speak to you alone, if you don't mind."

I knew I'd have to hear these words coming from Bella Swan sooner or later. She hissed those words at me, and her warm breath hit my senses so violently that I had to take a step back. Every time she was near me, I was reminded of her warmth, her scent, her blood and it awoke the monster inside of me.

I didn't want to explain anything but I knew that she wouldn't let this go until the situation got clearer to her, so might as well get this over with.

Without a word, I walked away expecting her to follow me. All of my senses were focused on her presence behind me as she tried to keep up with me.

This was part of the role I was going to play. The villain. The one who lied and manipulated.

I turned to her, once I found a calm spot. "What do you want ?" I asked coldly.

She startled as she did not expect me to stop. Or was it because of the sound of my voice ? Or the expression on my face ?

Bella put more confidence on her stance, trying to look unfazed by me, but it was too late. I had already caught the spark of surprise in her eyes.

"You owe me an explanation." she said in a small voice, that didn't match with her posture.

"I saved your life. I don't owe you anything." I told her, trying to keep my voice harsh no matter how much this role didn't suit me.

I didn't want to do this. This went against everything I worked for to be the person I was today. To protect my family, I had to. To stay by Aiyanna's side, I had to.

Bella flinched, as if my words had hurt her.

"Yes, you do." Bella insisted.

"Bella, you hit your head. You don't know what you're talking about."

She frowned and I saw her rise her chin up. I knew that what I was doing was not right. I knew that I was making her appear as someone crazy who had been a victim of hallucinations or whatsoever.

"There's nothing wrong with my head."

"What do you think happened, then ?" I sighed, purposefully showing how exasparating this conversation was to me.

"All I know is that you weren't anywhere near me. Tyler didn't see you either, so don't tell me I hit my head too hard. Why would you have been next to me when Aiyanna wasn't ? What sense do you find in that ? That van was going to crush us both but it didn't. You hands left dents in the side of it, and you're not hurt at all..." she poured her words as if she had been holding them for a long time and stopped herself from saying more.

She had indeed, seen everything. Why did she catch that ? Why was her first reflex to find where I was standing as soon as she came out of her truck ?

"So you think I just magically flew across the lot in less than a second to save you ?" I asked sarcastically, which she answered with a nod. "Nobody will believe that, you know."

"I'm not going to tell anybody."

She meant it. Her body language, the sound of her voice...all of her being meant it.

But why ?

"Then why does it matter ?" I insisted.

"It matters to me. I don't like being lied to nor lying, so there better be a good reason why I'm doing it."