Chapter 62 - Reunion

Aiyanna

As planned, I went to La Push.

It was a little before 3pm, just before going to Sam's house. Before then, there was another place I wanted to go to.

The cemetery.

There, as I stood in front of Nana's stall with her name engraved in it, I was suddently shaken with shivers all over my body at its sight.

The circumstances of her death kept coming into my mind as flashbacks with such violence. My heart ache at the mere thought of her last cries of pain.

She shouldn't have died like this.

I clenched my fists in an attempt to control my body's response to these memories.

"I'm sorry, Nana. I thought I'd be better at this by now." I confessed.

It had been easier to be calmer when I was in the woods, because I was far from a town where everything had happened.

Even if I was in La Push at the moment, I felt as if every place I'd be would in would remind me of that night.

"I hope you're doing well, wherever you are and I hope you found your way back to grandpa."

A part of me was convinced that she did. If she didn't find him, then he would be the one who would find her.

I could almost be sure of that because of how I, as well, could feel inside of me where he was. It was like I became a compass oriented to one thing only. One person.

"Thanks for keeping me company and for talking some sense into me like you always did. Whether it was really you or just my imagination, I find peace in knowing that I wasn't alone all this time."

There wasn't much I wanted to say to her, since I believed that I already said everything that was on my heart during our numerous conversations in my dreams. So I stood in silence and closed my eyes to visualize her again. I was scared that with time, the details of her face would disappear little by little.

I didn't know for how many minutes I stayed there, drawing her face in my mind, but I suddenly felt a presence near me.

I opened my eyes, and looked around, only to see Sue Clearwater walking in the cemetery, with flowers in hand, with an expression I had never seen on her. She looked...empty. Exhausted.

I didn't know if I should walk up to her and greet her or just wait until she would be done. But then, who knew how long she would stay here ?

I wondered who she was visiting.

Sue saw me, after looking up from the ground she was eyeing as she walked. She addressed a faint smile to me, that I sent back while approaching her.

"Hi, Sue."

"Aiyanna. How have you been ? I'm glad you came back." she said, while having my hand in hers.

"I've been doing well, thanks."

She nodded. "You're here for your grandparents ?"

"Yes. I guess I will hang out here more often." I answered. "May I ask who you're visiting today ?"

I felt her hand go rigid in mine. "Oh." she let out in a whisper before she again, looked down at the ground.

"I'm sorry. I shouldn't have asked. You don't need to tell me." I immediately dismissed her.

"No, no. It's just...I forgot that you probably didn't know. It's very recent..."

Recent ? Then it was definitely someone I knew. I tried to guess in my mind, by putting all the pieces together but there was only one name that kept popping into my head, and I was scared to pronounce it out loud.