Chapter 20 - First kiss

Edward

"I love you." She had said.

Aiyanna's words left her lips with love, compassion and urgency tangled in them. Her eyes were staring deeply at mine while her right thumb stroke my cheek.

As soon as she mentioned our inevitable fate, her entire being had been invaded with the fear of not making the best of our time together. Fearing that time would be shorter than she imagined.

I wanted to reassure her. Telling her that I'd protect her against everything. I wanted her to live a long life and see what the world had to offer her.

I didn't realize how powerful the three words she pronounced were until she said them. A sudden warmth invaded my cold body. All I could hear was her heart beating vividly against her chest as if they were my own heartbeats.

"You are my life, Aiyanna." I answered, hoping she would understand the depth of my words.

Aiyanna welcomed my words with a shy smile that made her lower her head. The warmth on my cheeks was now gone as she brought her hands to her own cheeks. Her reaction made me smile at how innocent she looked. Like me, she was discovering these feelings and didn't know how to react.

I couldn't help but be glad to be her first. My ego would've felt hurt to know that she had given her love to another man.

Jealousy.

Not once had I felt this feeling until I read the thoughts of the guys around Aiyanna. I was lucky enough that she made guys around her understand that there was a certain line not to cross. However, seeing their fantaisies playing inside their mind made me want to keep her to myself.

My hand went under Aiyanna's chin and softly brought her head to my level. Her dark brown eyes met my soon to be black ones. I didn't feed before meeting her, when I knew I should have. I needed to be careful around her and not depend on Alice's visions.

"I would like to try something with you." I lingered. "May I ?" I asked for her permission.

Aiyanna nodded.

I didn't know if I had enough strength to be so close to her or if I was underestimating my abilities. I was probably putting Aiyanna in great danger by succumbing to my desires.

I leaned forward as my aim was to meet her lips. Thankfully, Aiyanna didn't move. I took my time as I was fighting my mind and body to come down to an agreement. To not hurt her.

As our lips almost touched, I stopped as my senses were consumed by her scent. I thought that humming her scent regularly would make things easier, but each time there was at least one second in which, I thought as a predator.

It's okay. Take your time. - She thought.

For the first time, Aiyanna directed her thoughts to me.

With Aiyanna's thoughts of encouragement I finally found the strength to put my lips on hers. Time stopped as I felt her soft lips accept mine. While my entire being wanted more than this gentle kiss, I knew that my senses were being tempted by her scent and the vivid sound of her heartbeat. I couldn't take the risk to put Aiyanna in danger, when I didn't want to inflict her any harm.

I finally leaned back, and took in a breath I needed to take control over myself.

This proximity made me understand that no matter how important Aiyanna was to me, I was still a danger to her whether I wanted it or not. At this point of our relationship, my nature was stronger than my will.

"Are you okay ?"

I opened my eyes and looked up at Aiyanna at the sound of her voice. She was okay. I, at least, had enough strength to ensure that. My lips formed a smile as a sense of proudness started to fill me. In a state of hunger, I was maybe stronger than I thought I was. For Aiyanna, I had to be.

"You are very understanding." I answered, as I remembered her thoughts.

Aiyanna smiled. "We're in this together now."