Chapter 75 - Newborn

Edward

I left my seat on the couch to look out the window. I watched Aiyanna pace in front of our house while discussing on the phone with Sam Uley about the possible battle that was awaited, which would involve both of our clans.

If at first, I was invaded with worry because of the mere idea of imagining Aiyanna near those newborns, I found in me the strength to trust her enough as I saw her talk. I failed to realize it until now, but the person I was worrying about seemed to be indeed, long gone. While watching Aiyanna, I was able to catch in her a sense of responsibility towards her own clan that made her more mature than the Aiyanna I once dated.

I had more than once been able to hear about her own leader's trust in her, so how could I not trust her ?

Aiyanna had once told me how an imprintee had a right to know about their existence but also their activities. However, since I was apart from the only kind they were born to kill, the pack had shared their uncomfort about having their whereabouts and even their numbers known by one of my kind. Therefore, I was only allowed to know what Aiyanna would share with me.

Therefore, I brought my attention back to the conversation held by my family while leaving Aiyanna to hers.

"What is it Alice ?" Jasper asked, sensing her frustration. "What did you see ?"

"There's around twenty of them..." Alice told us, then paused as she tried to look further into her visions.

Her visions kept coming as flashes which kept on disappearing as if a decision had been interrupted to make another. This time, Aiyanna's proximity to her had nothing to deal with it. 

"...I can't see a clear picture when I try to see what's going on. Only flashes I can't make sense of. It's as if someone's changing their mind, moving from one course of action to another so quickly that I can't get a good view." Alice explained to us.

Our fate relied a lot on Alice's visions. It was what had kept us from going to Seattle sooner. We kept waiting for Alice to see something so we could go, but as she explained, there wasn't much for her to see.

We did consider going there blindly, once. An idea we quickly gave up as we didn't know how many of them there were and how to hunt them among the population of Seattle.

"Indecision ?" Jasper asked.

"I don't know..." Alice sighed.

I watched Aiyanna walk back into the living room to join our family gathering. Having her here, in moments like these, made me think of the pleasant idea of having her carry our last name. For her to be officially part of our family, although she had been accepted by all of our members a long time ago.

My eyes followed her as she unconsciously moved beside me, her back pressed against the bay window I had been standing in front of to look at her, outside.

"I just called Sam. We're in." Aiyanna announced.

Jasper nodded as if he expected it, and then looked up at Aiyanna. "Ten for you, ten for us ?"

"We're willing to take more than our share if necessary." Aiyanna offered.

"Don't be too greedy." Emmett grunted, trying to calm down her excitement as he was the less likely to leave his share to anyone.

"This has all the characteristics of the early armies in Southern Wars. The size, the lack of training, the disappearances, the destruction...Whoever the leader is doesn't need to have more than twenty of them, especially if we are the ones they are after." Jasper explained.