Chapter 50 - Jacob Black (1)

This year, only Jessica and I were in the same biology class. Mike, Angela and Bella were not, anymore.

Thankfully, Mr Banner had walked in the class while dragging an old television with a cassette player about genetic problems. Although the subject was not the most interesting, it at least made me happy. We just had to watch the cassette play for a whole hour.

The class was, in general, silent but some whispers could be heard here and there. And Jessica and I weren't from the exceptions.

"I know you didn't fall for Paul, but there's really no one in La Push who caught your attention ? Really ?"

I didn't know why the first person that flashed in my mind when she asked thatwas Ricky. He was indeed, handsome. And it probably explained why I felt a little weird when he'd steal glances at me.

Did he feel the same thing too ?

No, probably not. I was the only one misinterpreting things in my mind.

"There is someone" Jessica realized, as I stayed silent a little too long. "Who is it ? Do I know him ?"

"You don't, and me neither." I answered, trying to make her excitement die down.

"So he's just someone you watch from afar ? Are you stalking him ?"

"I don't have time to stalk anyone. There's no one, I'm telling you."

"Liar."

Mr Banner hushed the class, looking at the back of the classroom where we were seating. I leaned forward and rested my head on my arms folded on the table and Jessica did the same to hide her moving lips.

"When you and that mysterious guy are official, you'd tell me right ?" she asked me which made her laugh.

Jessica simply didn't know how to give up. I knew that even if I insisted on saying that nothing would happen, she wouldn't believe me.

"Yes, Jessica. Don't expect it to happen though."

"I wish it does. It would do you know some good, you know. To have something less...complicated ?" Jessica said hesitantly, not sure if she had pulled the trigger on something she wasn't supposed to talk about.

I appreciated how careful she was being with her words, but wished she didn't have to. I was the one who needed to work on myself to not feel like someone was stabbing me whenever I'd heard his name.

So far, I was okay. Five months had passed since September, and so many things happened during this timespan that it didn't affect me anymore. Did it ?

"Thank you Jess."

Before I could bring my attention back on the front pf the class, I caught the sound of my phone buzzing in my bag. When I discreetly looked at the message that had been sent to me, I saw that it was from Jared.

Embry turned.

~~

I went to Emily's house after classes, hoping the boys would come back with Embry before night time.

This was getting out of hand. Like Sam said, the more we were and the more frequent the turns were getting. Age didn't seem to matter. Jacob, Quil and even Seth could turn any day, by now.

Besides, with that threat around Forks, it made me more anxious. We were just a bunch of inexperienced werewolves. We were now six, but only four of us could control our shifts, and maybe two of us would come out all right from a fight.