Chapter 43 - Quileutes

Aiyanna

Nana put her hand on my back. She then, turned around and stretched her hand towards Sam, who grabbed it to wrap it around his arm.

"Come inside. Your parents have been worried sick about you." she said.

"I know. Are they inside ?" I asked, as we were walking towards the front door.

"Did you think they'd be patient enough to stay inside ? Your mother is turning the whole town upside down to find you. Everyone is searching for you. You're even on the newspapers."

I winced, hating to be the subject of all conversations. Forks being a small town, I wasn't surprised that a lot of people worked together to find me. Everyone knew each other here.

"What is your name, my son ?" Grandma proceeded to ask Sam.

Being the last one to come inside, he closed the door behind him. "My name is Sam Uley."

"Sam..." she repeated before she grabbed his hand and mine. "You two carry the power of those who have come before you. This power comes with great responsibilities. May the spirit of your ancestors bring you strength and wisdom."

She squeezed our hands, looking at each of us with emotion.

"How did you know ?" I asked.

I still couldn't understand why she was here, in Forks. And the timing. How did she come here right when I turned ?

She guided us to the living room, where she sat on the couch while I prefered sitting on the floor, in front of her. I felt too dirty to sit on the couch. Sam followed, and sat beside me.

"Ever since your birthday, I felt something in my heart. Some kind of pressure weighing on my heart, everytime I thought of you. And then, that night, I had a dream. There were wolves. A lot of wolves, in La Push. And you were one of them." She told us. "To me it was a sign. Among all of my children and grandchildren, you are the only one I dreamed of like this."

My mom, being the last and only daughter of a family of 4 children, she was the last one to have a child among her brothers. My cousins were all in their twenties or almost hitting thirty. And obviously, none of my uncles or their children turned. If they did, it would have been known.

If I believed Sam, the reason why we turned was because of the affluence of vampires. Our dormant genes woke up at their presence. However, with how often I spent time with vampires, it surprised me that I didn't turn sooner.

"I landed this morning. Heta only knew I was coming when I called her to pick me up at the airport. When she told me you had gone missing, a part of me knew." Grandma continued. "I convinced your parents that I'd be resting so they could go and look after you, but in reality, I was waiting for you."

Knowing her, she couldn't stand still and not do anything for too long. I was sure that she went to the backyard and waited several times to see if I was coming back or not.

"When I touched your skin and saw you two barely clothed, I was certain. It reminded me of our young days with your grandfather. His skin was hot enough to make doctors worry, and he always wandered with only bermuda shorts after he would turn." she said, glancing at Sam with a smile.

"Nana, what do we have to do ? We only turned recently. We don't know what to do with these powers or who to turn to." I told her.

She nodded, before she looked at Sam. "Where do you live ?"