Chapter 78 - Control

Edward

After pleading me to remain calm, Aiyanna explained her insights to me. The longer I listened to her and the tighter my jaw and fists got. I was frozen with stress, drowning in guilt for not figuring this out sooner.

Victoria

Her name made me boil with fury. I growled, the vibrations in my chest alive with emotion. My mind was compilling a list of atrocities I wanted to do to her. However, my urge to go to Seattle and destroy these newborns who were created to track and kill Aiyanna was going against my fear of leaving her by herself.

A flood of emotions hit me at once. My thoughts weren't any better. I thought of our strategy and tactics, the disgust for what has been created in Seattle but also my fear and worry for Aiyanna. I couldn't get a hold of myself. I was utterly panicked.

"Edward ?"

I felt myself landing back to Earth when Aiyanna called my name. I didn't know how many times she did or for how long I stayed lost in my thoughts, but when I blinked and focused on Aiyanna again, she carried a useless worried expression for me when she was the one to be worried about.

"I can't wait for them to come for you, Aiyanna. I won't allow it. We're going tonight." I growled.

Aiyanna shook her head from side to side, and grabbed my arm. "Let them come. It'll be safer for all of us to get rid of them at once somewhere advantageous to us."

"If you think I'm going to let you take part in this..."

"I'm sorry, Edward." Aiyanna cut me off, her voice sharp. "This doesn't change anything."

"If you won't listen to me, I'm sure you will listen to Sam. You haven't told him about this, have you ? You and I both have an idea of what his reaction will be once he finds out that you are the target of all this."

I didn't need to be around her pack leader much to know that his decision would align with mine.

I ought to free my arm from Aiyanna's grip and run towards the Quileute reservation, knowing I was only allowed on their territory if it was a matter of life and death. There was no better opportunity for me to make use of that privilege.

However, for the first time, I was able to assess Aiyanna's strength when her grip on my arm tightened to the point where the possibility of having my arm ripped off almost became a reality.

My eyes looked up at the most dangerous expression I have ever seen on her face. Or at least, that was addressed to me.

"Move and we are through. I have no problem becoming a lone wolf if it means I get to rip Victoria's head, like she pushed her teeth into my grandmother. Neither you nor Sam will make me sit out on this. You better understand that quickly." Aiyanna snarled, before she released my arm, defying me to go through with my plan.

I felt the rage she had suppressed this whole time, resurface in her, as if it was my own. Her body started to shake and a semblance of heat wave hit me, as if her body temperature had gone up.

Jasper and Alice appeared on the porch, Jasper's senses on alert after catching how close Aiyanna was to lose herself. The atmosphere changed for a calmer one, dissipating the tension between Aiyanna and I. As if a spell had been broken, our breaths became steadier as we calmed down and released all tensions in our joints.

Seriously, Edward ? How is she supposed to enjoy her party now ? - Alice thought.

Alice glared at me for causing Aiyanna's fury when I had all the reasons to return her glare for having this secret kept from me all day.