Chapter 67 - Scent

Aiyanna

"Okay, what do you like ?"

"Sl...sleep ?"

"Aiyanna."

I pursed my lips, trying my best not to smile.

My father and I were in the living room with set of applications for college and stamps spread out on the coffee table. Although it was already late in the year, there were still few colleges which had open deadlines.

My father, who was the most stressed out about my future, had volunteered to help me make a decision about college, but honestly there wasn't much decision to make at this point of the year. The first one to send me an acceptance letter would be the one I would go to. It'd be an honor to even be considered entering one of the colleges I would select.

"Unfortunately, there is no sleeping degree in any of these. So, is there anything else that you like ?" my father asked from his sitting position on the couch, while I sat on the ground, with my back against it. "You like art don't you ?"

"Yeah. Haven't had time to dedicate to that in months, but sure." I nodded.

"Anything else ?" he insisted, while he started rummaging through the bundle of forms in front of us, to select the ones that would fit more with my interests.

"Hmm...that's about it."

"Well, that's a start. It's only the first year. As you study, your interests may change and you will be able to change courses."

My father started making two piles of forms, and slid only one of them in front of me.

"Look at the questions. You might be able to recycle your essays for some of them." he instructed me. "I'll mail them for you tomorrow, on my way to work."

"Yes, sir."

Dartmouth, Syracuse and a few more names were on the papers he handed me.

Today had been a long day. I came back from last night's practice at 1 in the morning, showered and slept for five to six hours before waking up to class, then went to Angela's place with Jessica to do our homework together to finally go back home to fill out these forms.

No matter how intimidating it looked, I convinced myself that it was best to send them all at once so I could no longer think about it starting from tomorrow.

"You know, there's something I keep thinking about." my father started, while I was filling the forms.

I looked up at him. "What is it ?" I asked.

"How is it going to be with your friends ? As the fossil of the pack, isn't it going to be a problem for you to be away ?"

"Fossil ?!" I exclaimed, which made him laugh. "Says the one whose age is going to start with a 5 in..."

"Hey, hey, hey !" he suddenly cut me off, calming his laugh down almost immediately which only made me smile harder. "There will be a time when you reach my age too, young lady."

I smiled bitterly, feeling my chest tighten at the thought that it won't probably be the case. I wasn't stupid enough to think that I would age as I normally would have if I hadn't become a shapeshifter. Knowing that I imprinted on someone who couldn't age, I doubted I'd ever have the strength to let myself die slowly in front of him everyday.

"Yeah, yeah." I said, rolling my eyes. "As far as I know, Ricky is the only one thinking about going to college, I don't think Paul or Jared even considered this option for next year. But even if I do go, there's enough of us now to have the pack function with two members away."