Chapter 24 - Reason

Edward

Seeing her as a person.

Getting used to her presence.

Finding a reason to keep her alive.

I kept repeating these words, over and over again in my mind, meditating on them. Was I really able to do that ? Getting close to my enemy ? Was the girl really an enemy, or just someone I hated right now ?

While unconsciously stroking Aiyanna's neck as she slept calmly in my arms, I kept overthinking about the moment I'd have to be confronted to that scent again.

Before going back to school, I had to see my family. I had to talk to Carlisle, see Esme and my siblings again. Although it hasn't been long since we last saw each other, the fact that I left to flee worried them. I didn't answer to any of their calls and messages either during my stay in the Denali coven, ashamed and afraid they'd influence my decision.

"Edward..."

This murmur which sounded so clear to me was said by a sleepy Aiyanna. It was the second time that night, that she had called my name.

Aiyanna didn't understand why I liked being with her while she was asleep. The truth was that, I wanted to be with her whether she was awake or not. Her presence itself was enough for me to feel whole. I didn't get bored. On the contrary, these 90 years without her were much more boring than these moments were.

I left her house in the middle of the night while she was still sleeping. I wanted to hunt, change my clothes and come back before Aiyanna would wake up.

When I parked in the garage, I heard the thoughts of the members of my family. Alice had most certainly told them that I was coming back even before I made the decision to do so. So there was no surprise detected in their thoughts and voices.

I went to the living room, where I met all of them in a second. I was first welcomed by Esme who wrapped her small arms around me, and pecked my cheek.

Welcome home, Edward - she thought. I'm pleased you came back.

"I'm sorry for leaving without a notice." I told her.

It's fine. As long as you are okay, now.

I nodded and saw my siblings, watching me closely. Alice had told them everything I told her before leaving. She had called me, as soon as I made the decision to leave and therefore, became Aiyanna's driver that day.

"Why force yourself, Edward ?" Jasper asked me, not understanding why I was back so soon.

"It's going to be okay. I'm 93% certain that nothing will happen." Alice tried to reassure everyone, as she searched through her visions.

For once, I was the weakest. For once, I was the one who needed to be watched. It was irritating. Now, I understood what Jasper was feeling constantly. I sighed, hating this feeling.

"Shall we have a talk, Edward ?" Carlisle asked, out loud.

All eyes went to him, which allowed me to not feel their gazes that brought so much pressure on my shoulders. Internally, I thanked Carlisle for intervening, although he couldn't hear me.

I nodded, and the next second, both of us left the others behind while we went for a run.

Carlisle was the first one to stop, and I followed. Through his eyes, I could see myself standing shamefully in front of him. I should've at least tell him my intentions of leaving. But shame had taken the control over me.