Chapter 6 - Threats

Edward

"The rest of us are going to ride Emmett's Jeep. I'm going to need you to go somewhere after school." Alice had thought this morning.

When I tried to find the reason why she'd want me to go somewhere when she could do it herself, I found her hiding her thoughts to me through singing the alphabet song in different languages.

It all made sense to me now.

The moment we came back to class, the sound of the bell rang in the whole school. Once Aiyanna and I were back in our biology classroom, I gave the note to Mr Banner while he checked on Aiyanna. As I walked back to my table to pack my stuff, I heard Mike's worried voice apologize to Aiyanna again. He had packed her stuff as well and insisted on carrying her bag as he felt bad, but she declined.

Mike wasn't completely oblivious to Aiyanna's feelings towards him. But he hoped she'd change her mind with time. While listening to Aiyanna's conversation at lunch with her friends Jessica and Angela, I felt a sudden sense of relief when I understood that she didn't have any interest in Mike Newton.

What caught my attention was when Aiyanna rejected the idea of dating me, if I had been one of the few who were interested in her. The fact that even the thought of dating me didn't cross her mind was quite unexpected. It was quite embarassing to think that about myself, but this idea had crossed the minds of numerous young women, teachers and even the nurse in this high school, and yet, she was indifferent. It was the first time that I questioned my influence.

Her indifference made me want to know more about how different she was from others. The desire to know more about her grew stronger in me. I wanted to test her. Know more about how she thought, what she liked and what she disliked. I wanted to see the world through her eyes as she was so easy to read and yet, seemed unpredictable.

Those dark brown eyes that looked at mine, grateful, when I put my hand on hers in the nurse's office. My skin was colder to human ones, which was why I avoided touching others. But I couldn't bear the sight of Aiyanna being in pain. Knowing that I could give her some sense of comfort was enough for me to grab her hand without overthinking, perfectly conscious of the risk I was putting myself and our family into.

As I waited for Aiyanna outside of her last class, the corners of my lips lightly lifted themselves up when she came out. She was with Jessica Stanley, who shared most of her classes.

"Shall we ?" I said.

Ah yeah, the drug store. - she reminded herself.

"Yeah, sure." she answered before she turned towards Jessica. " I'll see you tomorrow, Jess. Don't think too much, okay ?" Aiyanna warned her as she held her finger in front of Jessica's face who looked at her with only surprise in her eyes.

"I can't promise you that." we heard Jessica from behind us, while we walked away.

"Your hand ?" I asked her.

"Better. The pain's gone now." Aiyanna answered as she made me see it.

It was actually our first day talking to each other, and yet it didn't feel like it. She was at ease when she talked to me, as if she was talking to any other human, which made me wonder if her survival instincts were unexistent or if I became less scary with time.

"Don't you hate being the center of attention ? How are you handling this right now ?"

I've heard her think about it numerous times, although I didn't remember her saying it out loud.

A Vampire's Love - Edward Cullen (Twilight saga)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara