Chapter 64 - School

Aiyanna

"Aiyanna."

When I looked up, I met Mike's bright blue eyes. His face expressions looked surprised, when he sat down beside me.

"I saw your car on the parking lot, and until now I couldn't believe it was yours. How have you been ?" he asked.

Never have I ever been grateful to have Mike sit next to me. He unconsciously served as a distraction and an excuse for me to not look at the table at the other end of the class where Alice was sitting. I never thought I would say this about her, but the scent that emanated from her felt as toxic as Laurent's dead body.

I could recognize her without even looking at her. Her steps had been lighter than Jasper's and Edward's.

"Could have been better if I could have slept a little more. I just came back from Mr Reeves' office."

"Oh, he called you ?"

I nodded. "With my mom." I insisted, rolling my eyes.

Curious, Mike asked me how it went and I was happy to answer and think of something else than the scent that was, quicker than expected, starting to make my nose itchy.

By the time I told him everything, the class started. It didn't prevent Mike from leaning in closer to me and continue our conversation, whispering.

"The Cullens have started eating with us since they came back. We couldn't say no, but if you want, we can..." Mike told me, but I immediately shook my head before he could finish his sentence.

"Why say no ? It's not their fault that they had to move out." I said, remembering the excuse they had to come up with to explain their absence.

The last thing I wanted was to be a source of discomfort between my friends and the Cullens who were trying to keep their cover.

"Are you sure you're okay with that ?" Mike insisted.

"I shouldn't have a say in the matter. What am I ? The lunch Queen ?" I scoffed.

Mike chuckled as well.

I answered to my name being called during attendance and so did Mike once his name was called a few seconds later.

Thankfully it was spring and summer was around the corner, so there were no objections when I decided to open the windows I was sitting next to.

The fresh air had allowed me to focus better on the class rather than Alice's scent, which made the whole hour go by smoothly.

And so did the next hours before lunch period.

As I walked from my last class of the morning to the cafeteria with Eric who was absorbed in his comic book, I could feel the change in the atmosphere on the entire campus. There was a certain and perceptible thrill in the air.

The walls I walked past had posters on them, with words associated to freedom, especially for senior classes.

Graduation was so close it was palpable. The posters were crowded everywhere, even on the cafeteria walls with reminders to buy yearbooks, announcements, advertisements for this year's prom which was this Saturday and deadlines to order graduation gowns, hats and tassels. I hadn't found the time to do that yet, much less thought about going to prom this year.

As expected, the end of the year didn't give me this pleasing sensation. On the contrary, it made me nervous when I thought of how I had to study twice harder to get back on track.

The end of the year seemed to be in everyone's conversations before I walked in the cafeteria with Eric. Some conversations changed to talk about my return on campus.