Chapter 21 - Isabella Swan (1)

Aiyanna

A new student was coming.

Her name was Isabella Swan.

Three months had passed and yet it felt as long as a whole year.

The only moments where I felt like time wasn't long enough was when I was enjoying the Cullen's presence.

Mostly Edward's to be honest.

With time, the Cullen's house felt like a second home to me. And the Cullens felt like a second family. Not once had they made me feel like they were vampires, except for their heightened senses and the only nights where Edward had to hunt with his siblings which sometimes lasted for days. Edward had told me that the darker his eyes were and the hungrier he was. He was quite sensible when he was hungry, which made me think that him and I were more similar than I thought we were.

The moment our relationship became official, I couldn't ignore the glares that were thrown our way at school. Edward had turned down every girl who were interested in him way before I came to Forks, so how was this my fault that they couldn't get his interest ? But it also made me wonder: how would they have dealt with their vampire nature ? I did go through a lot of emotions such as fear, anger, confusion and disappointment, but at a certain point I came back to my senses. For love, I did.

These were the kind of thoughts I was having during civilisation class while Jessica was talking discreetly with Isabella Swan who was sitting behind us. She was a regular girl who, at first sight, emanated « shy energy ». Jessica was leading their conversation as she was curious about Isabella's life before Forks. As the previous « new girl » I knew what it was like to be submerged by questions about our private lives. Even though, as everybody else, I was also curious about her to a certain extent, I didn't say anything mostly because I was listening to what they were saying.

"Are you sitting with us today ?" Jessica asked me, as we walked from our civilisation class to the cafeteria, with Isabella who walked silently next to Jessica.

"No, not today." I answered and Jessica nodded. Jessica and the others got used to see me navigate from the Cullen table to theirs, so they didn't question or feel weird about it anymore

"What class do you have after lunch, Isabella ?" I asked her, trying to include her in the conversation.

"Please, call me Bella." she said, which I answered with a nod and a smile. After rumaging through her backpack to check her timetable, she answered. "Biology."

"Oh, that means we're still in the same class."

"Yeah, I guess." She answered awkwardly.

The moment the three of us walked through the doors of the cafeteria, a few gazes were thrown our way. It was at this moment that I felt pity towards Bella. Lots of curious eyes were wondering who the new girl was and how she looked like. The news went around quickly in school, and even people who would probably never interact with her, were curious about her.

Bella kept her head down, not wanting to meet their eyes.

"Don't mind them. It'll be over sooner than you expect." I told her as we started to fill our trays with food.

"I kind of expected it. Forks is a small town." she said in a small voice.

"But trust me, the attention dies down soon." I tried to reassure her.

She nodded. "I hope so."

"See you later, Aiyanna." Jess said as she walked towards our usual table with Mike, Lauren, Tyler, Eric and Angela, followed by Bella.