Chapter 46 - The Pack

OCTOBER

NOVEMBER

DECEMBER

JANUARY

Once again, I watched the dark sky turn into gray while being on patrol until early in the morning.
It was the longest and coldest winter that ever existed in Forks, making the atmosphere gloomy. Even when the sun deigned showing itself, it was pale and powerless on my fur.

My paws touched the remainings of snow on the ground. Had I not looked at where I was walking on, and I wouldn't have noticed that I was stepping on snow. The cold had no effect on us anymore.

"Nothing to signal. Time to go home." I commanded.

I ran back home, where we were supposed to meet, with the sounds of our paws hitting the soil with force to propell our bodies forward.

It didn't take long for me to see my house. I could already smell the scent of freshly baked blueberry muffins and everything that was made to accompany them.

I calmed my heartbeat and let myself change back to human. With time, turning back to human became a second nature to me. I didn't feel its difficulty anymore.
Once I was back in my human form, I untied the clothes I had wrapped around my ankle before starting my patrol, to put them back on.

I wasn't the only one doing this. I could hear the sounds of fabric slide against a skin that wasn't mine.

Since I was wearing both top and bottom, I didn't understand how he could not be ready before me, especially since all he had to put on was his bermuda shorts. While tapping my bare foot on the ground and crossing my arms on my chest, I waited impatiently for him to show himself once he'd be dressed.

"Hurry up, I'm starving !" I sighed.

"So am I !"

He ran past me in human form, without even throwing a glance at me. Why did I even wait for him ? I should've run straight home.

I rolled my eyes and ran after him.

What a relief for us to live near the woods. It was much easier for us to go unnoticed, especially at night. We had to be careful though. It would be very suspicious if we were caught barely clothed in the middle of winter.

When we arrived at the porch, two buckets filled with water were waiting for us. We used them to wash our feet and didn't wait long for the water to dry at the contact of our hot skin. We then, wore the flip flops that had been put beside the buckets and threw the dirty water.

It was only after, that I opened the front door and was welcomed by the sweet and savory scents of the breakfast that had been prepared for us.

We walked in, and saw my father and Nana working actively in the kitchen. Although the table was already filled with food, they didn't look like they were done.

"Hurry wash your hands and come eat." Nana told us without even looking at us.

This has become a routine for all of us. For all the people involved. From my parents, to grandma and to the rest of the pack.

The pack has welcomed Paul and Jared two months ago. Jared had been the first one to turn in late November, and was followed by Paul only a week later. We were four now, making it easier for us to change shifts.

On one side, it was a lot of work for Sam and I to revisit all of our organization, even in the way we communicate. Now, there were twice more images running through our mind, two more voices talking to us and twice more emotions to feel. But on the other side, it made us realize what kind of leaders we were.