Chapter 77 - Graduation

Aiyanna

"When we were five, they asked us what we wanted to be when we grew up. Our answers were things like, Astronaut, President or in my case, a Princess.

When we were ten, they asked again. We answered rock star, cowboy or in my case, a gold medalist.

But now that we've grown up, they want a serious answer. Well, how about this : who the hell knows ?

This isn't the time to make hard and fast decisions, this is the time to make mistakes. Take the wrong train and get stuck somewhere. Fall in love...a lot. Major in Philosophy because there is no way to make a career out of that. Change your mind and change it again because nothing's permanent. So make as many mistakes as you can.

That way someday when they ask what we wanna be, we won't have to guess...we'll know."

I clapped my hands and used all of the air in my lungs to cheer Jessica along with the hundred students dressed in yellow robes and hats, and their parents in the gym we were all gathered in.

Mike who was sitting on my left side with Angela, Eric and Bella while Edward was on my right one with Alice and Jasper, brought his fingers in his mouth to whistle. We all knew how Jessica stressed out about her speech all week, adding to the stress of final exams. It was only right for us to encourage her.

Then, the student march followed. Mr. Clapp tried his hardest to line us up alphabetically. My last name, being one of the first ones being called, made the whole ceremony feel like it happened in a fast forward motion.

Sam and Emily as well as Paul, Jared, Ricky Seth, Embry and Collin came. They were sitting with Billy Black who was also accompanying Charlie Swan. When my name got called, the boys and my parents stood up and made as much noise as probably the hundreds of us did for Jessica's speech.

I should've known that they wouldn't stay still like the rest of the families who clapped from their seat. I myself, made the same fuss at the boys' graduation last week.

"It's a miracle !" Paul yelled as I walked towards Mr. Reeves to take my diploma.

I tried my best not to laugh. I couldn't even argue with him about this, because it was indeed almost a miracle that I managed to graduate with the other students of my promotion.

"Congratulations, Miss Brown." Mr. Reeves told me.

"Thank you."

I walked off the stage and watched Alice, Edward and Jasper receive their diploma as well. They stood out from the crowd, their beauty and grace otherwordly. Although this was the umpteenth time they graduated high school, Carlisle and Esme still carried a proud expression on their face as they clapped their hands.

I joined the assembled graduates, waiting for the rest of the students to have their names called as well.

When Edward joined me, I was able to dwell in his presence I had missed for the past weekend. It was the first time I saw him since Saturday morning, when I woke up to his face. I haven't able to see him since then, because of the two-day shift I took.

"Congratulations, Aiyanna."

"Congratulations." I answered. "All honours go to you, for not giving up on me while serving as my teacher."

"I would never." Edward said, before he smirked. "Syracuse it is, then ?"

I nodded with a grin. "Syracuse it is."

Edward had told me that he also got accepted there, but also stood on his firm convictions to go to college with me. It would be a tremendous lie to say that I didn't like the idea.