Chapter 32 - The Game

Edward

I barely had the time to park my car in our garage when Alice almost jumped on me.

You're going to introduce me to Bella tomorrow at school. She's going to like me, too. I'm so excited - she thought.

Judging by her tone, I knew she wasn't asking. Going through me to talk to Bella was probably the wisest decision, since none of them had ties with her. And to be honest, the only ties I had with her was her closeness with Aiyanna's group but also the fact that we were sharing the same class.

"I think this subject isn't the most important right now, Alice." I almost scolded her.

She had been waiting for a reason to get close to Bella and finally start the friendship she had foreseen. There was no need in trying to stop her. I had no right over Bella.

Jasper isn't pleased with the situation, but I don't see him do anything, especially now that I am only a few hours away from getting to know her. Alice continued, in all seriousness before her excitement took over. I can't wait to do some girl stuff with her too. She needs serious help with her wardrobe.

As soon as we both came upstairs, I had to avoid the fist of a furious Rosalie. Emmett was quick to stand in front of her, holding her in hope she'd calm down.

Why do you keep making things harder for me, bro ? Rosalie wants to rip your tongue out. Emmett addressed his thoughts to me.

"Idiot ! Jackass ! How dare you tell Bella anything about us ! Who is she for you to risk everything ?!" Rosalie yelled at me. Her voice would've sounded as much threatening even if she had whispered.

Carlisle approached us with Esme behind him looking at the scene with pain in her eyes. The sight of her family fighting was one of the most painful sight to her.

"Edward, talk to us." Carlisle pleaded.

I restrained a sigh. I owed them this. Once again, I put them in danger. Once again, I disturbed the calm that used to reign in our lives.

"Bella knew too much. She had made her research, questionned a Quileute descendant although this one doesn't believe about our existence. I found no reason to lie to her. She won't say anything." I told them, standing confidently in front of them.

"I can still take her out ! If I hear that she's spoken one word about us to anyone, I will do it !" Rosalie snarled.

"Rosalie." Carlisle called her, an invitation for her to not say a displeasing word anymore. "Do you have a guarantee that the girl won't talk ?" He then asked me.

She fell for him.

These words from Jasper's mind were the hardest to digest. They were the ones I dreaded to hear. It shouldn't happen. She shouldn't have fallen for her biggest threat. Someone who had once comploted to drain her of all her blood.

The scenario was repeating again. Out of love, someone had to keep my secret.

I acted as though I didn't hear Jasper, and stared at Carlisle's golden eyes. "I trust her."

~~

Aiyanna

Bella found out.

Edward explained to me what happened that night, in Port Angeles. How after going to First Beach with the others, the stories that Jacob had told her convinced her to do more research. That ever since the car accident in the school's parking lot, Bella had been trying to approach Edward to observe him, which explained her recent behavior. She had noticed the change of colors in his eyes, which no one dared to question as they were too intimidated by the Cullen family. Or how they never showed themselves out under the sun and how they never ate. She had seen too much.