Chapter 40 - Disaster

Aiyanna

While my parents stayed inside the house to keep on their conversation with Carlisle and Esme, the rest of the Cullens followed me in our backyard.

I never dared walking in the backyard at night especially since the forest was right behind it. I guessed, what I was the most afraid of was the fact that I couldn't have a clear view of what was around me. That I would be kind of deprived of the full capacity of my senses.

But now that I was outside, I realized that I could see better than I thought I would.

Edward had forced me to grab my winter coat, although we were still in mid-september, fearing that I'd fall sick with how low the temperatures could get at night. But to be honest, it wasn't even that cold. But that could be explained by the fact that Emmett and I were sparing, this time, more to keep my temperature up rather than to train me. Or maybe not.

Ever since the James, Victoria and Laurent incident, I saw what it was like to be weak and not being able to do anything. My time at the hospital made me realize one thing. Although I could not be as strong as vampires and would never be able to take one down, I had to have enough strength to defend myself from other dangers that would be more manageable for me. So, when I recovered completely, I naturally asked Emmett to be in charge of my journey of building muscle and learning how to fight.

"I can't believe you're doing that right now." Rosalie sighed.

"Emmett is slowly turning her into the feminine version of himself." I heard Jasper comment, in an amused voice. "I hope you're into girls like him, Edward."

"I don't want to think about it." Edward sighed.

Edward didn't really love the idea of me, wanting to face danger instead of trying to find a way to get away from it. But his long attempts at trying to make me confide my protection to him, always failed.

I stopped, still on my defensive stance and looked at Edward.

"Someday, for some reasons, you guys won't be there to protect me. If someone wants to mess up with me for whatsoever and it comes to hands, I got to have some tricks to take that person down, don't you think ?" I explained to them for what seemed to be the umpteenth time.

"That's the spirit." Emmett added.

"Alice will see it beforehand." Edward answered. "And where do you want me to go, if you're not there ?"

I rolled my eyes. "Alice needs some rest. All of you need some rest. I refuse to be a little girl in distress, waiting for my guards to save me."

When Edward parted his lips to try to dissuade me again, Alice cut him off. "Save your breath, Edward. I don't see her changing her mind anytime soon." she told him.

Edward pinched the bridge of his nose, defeated. With a sense of victory, I looked around the ground looking for something to upgrade this lesson that wasn't supposed to be one. But then, when I found it, everything happened so fast.

Too fast.

~~

Edward

I caught the scent before I realized what was happening.

Aiyanna was searching for a branch that was sturdy yet light enough for her to use as a weapon, but the moment her hand came in contact with the rough piece of trunk she grabbed, it almost felt like I could hear her skin being pierced by the reliefs of the wood piece.