Chapter 47 - New Recruit

The moment we shapeshifted, we were welcomed with the thoughts of a disoriented and panicked boy. Sam's presence was already felt. I could see the images of his position that he shared with us. I recognized it quickly when I saw the land being separated by a river. He was near the border that separated La Push from Forks.

"Took you long enough." Sam told us.

"Nana's doing. The food was epic." Paul answered.

"You should be ashamed to put the blame on the elders." Jared intervened, catching up on us.

"SHUT UP !"

Their conversation was cut short by the new guy whose emotions were a mess. He was panicking, as anyone would. It was not easy to turn into a giant wolf all of a sudden. To feel your body heating as if you were thrown in a oven, and yet shake violently as if you were freezing cold. And then, to feel bones you never paid attention to, explode in million pieces to create new and bigger ones.

The memories of his torture were still fresh to him. And although turning released the pain, his mental was at its lowest.

If it weren't for the fact that we could feel each other's emotions as if they were ours, I would've heard his anger through his voice.

Through the anger there was also pain, repulsion and mostly fear.

"Everything right now may seem scary to you, but the four of us have been through what you are going through at the moment. We can help you." I talked.

"Leave me alone !"

He was clearly in denial. Refusing our help was his way to convince himself that there was a way out of this. There was a way, but unfortunately it wasn't a permanent one.

"SHUT UP ! This is not true." He answered to my thoughts.

The sudden images of someone jumping off the cliff appeared in my mind. Then the images went pitch black.

It didn't take long for me to realize that these images were from our new recruit. They weren't just simple images that came out of nowhere. These images exposed his plan. His own way out of this.

Left.

There he was, on my left.

I could see him, failing to avoid the branches and obstacles on his way, while running. His fur was grey but his chest and underbelly were white. His footsteps were loud which was explained by the fact that he barely found out how to stand on four feet. Besides, the weight of his new body felt on his legs was twice or even three times heavier than his human one.

Farther out, I could hear the waves crashing against the rocks of First Beach.

He was heading to the highest outcropping of the cliffs. The chances of drowning for our kind were low but for someone who was new to this and didn't know how to move properly with four legs on land, it would be twice harder for him to make it in water.

Without a word, Sam showed us his next position and gave us images of where he needed us to be.

For the past four months, we had spent most of our time in the woods, which allowed us to recognize spots easily due to memories of us being there before, the shape of trees or even their surroundings.

The four of us parted according to Sam's plan, making me push my legs faster to get to the cliff before our new recruit did.

I was quickly catching up on our new born, until I was completely ahead of him. I managed to stop at the border where the dirt path fanned out into the stone ledge, before he could go any further. Failing to stop himself in time, our bodies crashed, pushing me a little closer to the brink.