Chapter 18 - Confessions

Aiyanna

If I used to be leaning closer to Edward while listening to him, I suddenly leaned back at this last information.

Edward could read thoughts.

My mind kept repeating this sentence in my head, to make me realize what he actually said.

My hands were soon covering my mouth as I realized something. I had realized for weeks that I had fallen in love with him, and this whole time he had been reading my thoughts. And to think that he had already told me that it was easy for him to read through people. The conversations we had about knowing what people really thought. He must have taken me for a fool.

"You've gotta be kidding, right ?" I whispered, fighting the urge to shout at him. "You've been reading my thoughts all this time ?"

"I didn't choose to."

"Oh my God."

I fell on my back and put the pillow over my face. I wanted to scream in my pillow but feared being heard by my parents. I felt so ashamed. Violated. Naked. There was nothing I could hide from him and there were so much he knew about me. Things he didn't need to know.

"If it can reassure you, I've tried to give you privacy by shutting your thoughts off." Edward tried to reassure me with a calm voice.

"It doesn't reassure me enough." I whined thinking of a way to escape.

He knew I loved him from the beginning. He knew everything. Why did I even bother hiding it from him ?

"I believe I would've known about your feelings for me, someday. You would've told me, right ?" Edward kept talking, and the worst of it was that I could hear the amusement in his voice.

"Well, now you know." I sighed as I shrugged still avoiding his gaze by closing my eyes tightly with the pillow on top of my face.

"I do love you, Aiyanna. If anything, I was the happiest when I found out that my feelings were shared."

I froze. I didn't know Edward was the kind of person to confess bluntly like that.

"I don't see the point of hiding it now that you know what I am." he suddenly answered to my thought.

I couldn't believe he actually answered to my thought. Like Jasper's gift, I didn't know if his gift was good or not.

"Stop reading my thoughts." I told him as I pushed the pillow off of my face and sat up.

"Sorry."

"When did you start liking me ?"

"The moment I realized my whole being was invaded with desires I couldn't explain. Desires I wasn't familiar with." Edward answered. His eyes stared at mine while he was talking which made me wonder if a human body could melt under someone's gaze. "I don't know how to be close to you. It's the first time I meet someone I want to treat differently from the way I treat my family. I didn't identify these feelings as love at first, but since I have been around people who felt this way almost my entire existence, I realized the true nature of what it was quickly." For a moment Edward smirked, as he looked at the covers on my bed as if it reminded him memories. "I thought I knew what love would be because of the pages I read about it in books, or because I became so used to read people's thoughts about it. But these feelings are quite... stronger than I expected."