Choice

"Do me a favor and stick by Tony," you told Peter as you were both crouched behind some bushes. In front of you was a large warehouse with multiple Hydra goons surrounding the entrances. 

"Yeah, everyone keeps telling me that," Peter murmured.

You put a hand on his shoulder, "Dealing with Hydra is different than your typical purse-snatchers, Peter. It doesn't hurt to have someone watching your back."

"You think this place is the real deal?" he asked you.

You let go of his shoulder and gripped the rifle in your hand nervously. "What do you mean?"

"It just all seems too easy. And I have a feeling in my gut that something is up." Peter shook his head and laughed. "Maybe I'm just overthinking it."

Before you could say anything, Steve spoke into the comms and signaled for you all to move in. Peter swung towards Tony who was taking out agents on the roof. Steve and Bucky ran headfirst towards the main entrance while Natasha snuck into the west side. Now alone, you made your way to the east side of the building, just like you were instructed to do in your phone call from Hydra.

When you got there, you saw two guards standing by a side door. Instead of putting up a fight, they simply lowered their weapons and stepped aside, allowing you to walk past them. You keep your weapon close to you, just in case.

Once inside you could hear the distant sounds of Stark's repulsors and gunfire coming from outside.

"Don't worry, my men will keep them busy for a while." You turned to your left and saw Dr. Abbott walk toward you. 

Next to him was a large man in a Hydra uniform and a large scar on the left side of his face. Unlike the doctor, this guy looked at you unimpressed and with contempt.

"Who's this guy?" you asked, sizing him up.

The doctor chuckled, "Right, you two haven't been introduced yet. (Y/N), this is Otis. Otis, this is (Y/N)."

"What happened to your face? Did something give you that, or were you born that ugly?" you asked Otis bluntly. This caused the bigger man to glare at you, a low growling sound coming from his throat. 

"Play nice you two," Abbott said, pushing Otis back. "You have a job to do (Y/N)."

"What are my instructions?" You asked.

Abbott grabbed a phone from his coat and handed it to you. On the screen, you could see live footage of the Avengers causing mayhem around the building. "I noticed you have a new member."

The screen zoomed in on Peter in his Spiderman suit, who was helping Tony apprehend Hydra agents with his web. You didn't like the idea of the doctor putting his attention on him.

"He's a newbie, not important," you lied. "He came along as a one-time thing."

"It'll still hurt them when we kill him," Abbott said casually. 

You felt your stomach drop at his words. The mere thought of hurting Peter made you sick; you would never be able to do it. "You want me to kill him? If I do that, the Avengers-"

"-don't have to know you were a part of it," Abbott told you. "Otis will take care of it. You just have to make sure he isn't caught."

"What will this accomplish?"

"It'll weaken their morale."

"How's Otis going to kill him, the kid has super strength."

On cue, Otis took out a syringe from his pocket and injected himself. In a matter of seconds, his canines got longer, and his nails turned into claws. His eyes started to glow a familiar gold color.

Surprised, you stepped back from him and looked at the doctor. "He's... like me."

"Not exactly," Abbott told you. "I was never able to replicate your results, but Otis is close enough."

Otis growled at you, making you scowl. "Suddenly I don't feel as special."

"Don't worry (Y/N), you'll always be my number one." Abbott gave you a quick pat on the shoulder as he walked towards the exit. "Make me proud boys."

"Where are you going?"

"I trust you two to get the job done while I take care of other things."

Now alone with Otis, you stood awkwardly next to him. "So, what happens now?"

Otis simply scoffed at you before stomping his way outside. You watched him walk away and the feeling of dread got stronger. You couldn't let him hurt Peter, yet if you interfered you would be going against the doctor's orders.

Taking a deep breath, you took out a pill bottle. "Now or never."

Having activated your powers and making a decision, you ran after Otis.

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
A/N: 👍