Consequences

"You're... not angry?" you ask the two men in front of you.

Steve sighs as he leans against a table. "We're disappointed you didn't come to us sooner. We could have helped you."

"Did you not trust us?" Tony asked.

"I do," you tell. "It's just that when it comes to Abbott I... He's..."

"He's like a father to you?" Steve asks.

You laugh at the word. "I never really called him that, but yeah, he's like my father. He raised me. I am who I am because of him."

"The people around us help shape us, but they don't define us," Tony says. "Abbott may have made you a soldier, but in the end, you're in control. You decided to protect Peter and come clean to us. To me, that makes you a good man (Y/N)."

"Please don't get sentimental on me," you tell the billionaire. "You're going to make me tear up."

"He's right." Steve smiles at you. "There was a time when I didn't trust you (Y/N). I thought when it came down to it; you would choose Abbott over us. You proved me wrong, and I owe you an apology."

You felt an immense sense of relief as Steve offered you his hand. You didn't always get along, but you respected him. He was the leader of this team, and you would follow him into battle any day.

"So, I'm forgiven?" you ask.

Steve and Tony glance at each other, and you don't miss the hint of mischief in their eyes.

"You are," Tony tells you, "but there still has to be some sort of punishment."

You start to get nervous again. "What type of punishment?"

"You're not allowed out of the compound unsupervised," Steve says.

You scowl. "Really? You're grounding me? I know I messed up but isn't that a little childish?"

"And," Tony adds, "we have to tell the team about this. They have to know what happened."

"Please just kill me now," you beg. You dreaded finding out what the rest of the team would say. There was a good possibility they wouldn't be as understanding as Tony and Steve.

"Sorry, but they have a right to know."

"Can I at least have a heads start before Natasha or Bucky try to kill me?"

Steve put a hand on your shoulder. "I'm sure they'll be understanding."

They were not.

That much was evident by the chokehold Clint had you in.

"Why didn't you say anything," he asked.

Although you could easily overpower him, you felt that he had a right to be angry. You did wish he would take it out in a different way.

"I did say something," you spit out.

"You could have done it sooner!"

"That's enough, Barton." Thor pulls the archer off of you. He stands in front of you, making it clear he wouldn't allow anyone else to harm you. "(L/N) has made a mistake, but he has owned up to it. He stood by our side when it mattered, and he will do it again. I believe that makes him deserving of a second chance."

"I agree with my brother." Everyone is surprised as Loki speaks. Even Thor seemed shocked at his words. "(Y/N) has done a lot for this team since he joined, I believe it's only fair you do the same in his time of need."

"I can't believe this, but I agree with Loki," Bruce says. He had been one of the few who knew of your doubts when you were on Sakaar. You were hesitant on returning to Earth, and you could have easily stayed on Asgard. Instead, you came back and were putting yourself at risk by betraying Hydra.

The three of them standing up for you seemed to get rid of any hostility the others had for you. A few felt guilt for doubting your loyalty.

"Am I forgiven?" you ask, walking out from behind Thor.

Natasha raised an eyebrow, but the smile on her face told you she wasn't angry. "No, but you're definitely on thin ice."

"You're going to have to keep your word," Bucky tells you. He knew the hold Hydra could have on a person and wouldn't hold it against you. Especially after you came clean with everything.

"I will," you reassure him. "From now on, I'll be completely honest with all of you."

"Good," Wanda says. "You better not force me to look into that head of yours."

Her brother speed to your side and put an arm around your shoulder. "You're an Avenger (Y/N). You have to try harder than that to get us to hate you."

You couldn't help comparing their reactions to what you might have gotten from Dr. Abbott. He would have punished you severely and never let you forget it. Yet your team was ready to forgive you so easily.

Despite your struggle to come to terms with it, you had turned your back on Abbott. There would be consequences for sure, but with your team and your family by your side, you were ready to face them.