Video Files

After what happened in the lab everyone was on edge. Hydra had managed to attack one of their teammates in the compound where they thought they were all safe. Some of the more paranoid Avengers started to take extra measures. Tony had spent hours updating his programs, Natasha updated security protocols and many, who didn't already, now sleep with a weapon by their bed.

When you were discharged from the med bay you closed yourself off in your room. You didn't allow anyone in. When they would bring you something to eat they would have to leave it by the door so you could get it later. You just didn't feel safe leaving your room.

You spent most of the time sleeping or watching T.V, but when you looked at the laptop sitting on the side, you decided to finally do something about those video files. You opened them up and first checked them for any surprises. Once you made sure they were safe you tried to recover the ones that had become corrupted. After that was done you sat back and played the first video from where you had left off.

Video 1:

"We have not yet found a human subject to begin testing the serum on," Dr. Abbott spoke into the camera. In the background, it was clear he was standing in his lab at the Hydra base you had grown up in. "Hopefully we will soon."

Abbott grabbed a test tube and held it up. It had a small amount of blue liquid at the bottom. "This here is the closest we could get to Dr. Erskine's serum. It still doesn't compare to the original."

He lifted another test tube, this time filled with bright purple liquid. "This is the serum I was able to engineer. Amazing, isn't it? I have yet to record my findings on video, so this should be a sight to behold."

He put aside the blue tube and reached for something out of frame. He brought out a small cage with a white mouse scurrying around inside. He filled a syringe with his serum and grabbed the mouse, injecting it while making sure it couldn't bite his hand. He then dropped the mouse back and watched as it ran around crashing into the walls of its cage. There was a faint sound of it squeaking as if it was in pain. "It causes extreme discomfort at first, but it should pass soon."

A few seconds later and the mouse stops running around. It's no longer making any sound but it's clear it's still breathing. "Now that the serum has been absorbed into its system." Abbott grabbed the mouse again, it was too tired to fight back this time. "Now we must activate it."

He brought out another syringe, this time red in color. It had a label on the side but you couldn't read it. He injected the mouse once more and put it in its cage. The mouse laid there for a few seconds before it started convulsing. It appeared to be growing in size and its eyes started to glow. Its teeth and claws were sharper and instead of a high pitched squeaking it was making a low growling sound.

The doctor smiled as he looked down at it. "The serum will remain in the subject's system permanently, but the effects of the activator are temporary." He raised the red syringe up to the camera and you were able to read the label clearly: canine blood sample.

The mouse was scratching the walls and growling at the doctor as he rattled his cage. Abbott looked amused at its attempts to bite him. "The results would be a lot more impressive once I have a human subject. The problem is finding the appropriate candidate."

He reached towards his camera and the screen went dark.

Video 2:

Dr. Abbott is sitting in the same spot, but this time he doesn't seem to be in a good mood. His lab coat is stained, his hair is messy, and his eyes are bloodshot from lack of sleep. He did not appear to be in the right state of mind.

"Two months and nine test subjects later, and I have made no progress. The serum was a success during the animal trials yet with humans there are significant side effects. Subject one and two were prone to violent outbursts. They nearly tore the heads off their handlers so they had to... put them down. A minor set back. Subjects three through six started to have exaggerated animal-like traits. That was foreseen but they weren't reversible. Subjects seven through nine were hostile but only to each other. That would have been a manageable side effect if they hadn't killed each other."

Abbott closed his eyes and pinched the bridge of his nose. "My superiors are pressuring me for results, but so far they have been disappointing. I refuse to believe my serum is the issue, I simply have to find the right person. Dr. Erskine himself supposedly struggled to find a suitable candidate for his serum."

The doctor leaned back in his seat and seemed to zone out. He didn't say a word and the only sound was of the video file slightly static audio. Finally, when he turned back to the camera he adjusted his lab coat and tried to fix his hair. "I suppose my only option is to continue. Human trials resume tomorrow."

The screen went dark once again.

Video 3:

This time the doctor is looking more presentable than before. His black hair is combed back and he appears well-rested.

"I was correct, of course. My serum was not the issue, it was the test subjects," he states proudly. "After various failures, I have found the perfect subject for my tests."

He looks towards someone out of frame and gestures for them to come closer. "Come here, don't be shy."

A small boy with (h/c) hair, (e/c) eyes, and about the age of five or six walks into frame. Dr. Abbott picks him up and sits him on his lap so he's facing the camera. The kid avoids looking directly at the screen as he clings to the doctor.

"It's okay (Y/N)," the doctor tells your younger self, "Say hello to the camera."

You shut your eyes and nuzzle closer to the doctor's arms. Abbott laughs amused and looks back at the camera. "(Y/N) was found in one of the Asset's missions. The son of a now-dead politician that tried to doublecross us. We were supposed to get rid of him too, but I've grown fond of the boy."

Abbott placed you back down and nudged you away. "Go play, I'm working right now." You looked hesitant but then did as you were told.

"Sadly that sweetness won't last," Abbott told the camera. "Once he is old enough to properly hold a knife his training will begin."
He grabbed a test tube filled with bright purple fluid, the serum he had shown in past videos, and stared at it. "He may be a little young to test now but so far his DNA is compatible with the serum. If this is successful, (Y/N) could be the start of a new future for Hydra."

The video goes dark.

Video 4:

The video starts with a man in surgical scrubs blocking the screen as he adjusts the camera. Once he's done he moves out of the way and reveals Dr. Abbott surrounded by other people wearing the same attire. They are in his lab but instead of his desk, they are standing around an operating table.

Abbott removes his face mask as he speaks to the camera. "This is the first attempt with subject ten to administer the serum. So far initial administration of the serum has been successful on all subjects but due to his age we are not aware of the effects it may have."

He nodded at one of his assistants to pass him a clipboard. He goes over it as everyone gets his instruments ready. Some of them filled various syringes with the purple serum and laid them out on a table. A woman then guides you into the frame. You're older than the last video, about twelve years old.

Abbott looks up at you. "Are you ready (Y/N)?"

"No sir," you reply nervously.

"Hop on," the doctor says tapping on the table. You do as your told and one of the assistants helps you lay down.

They start to strap you in but one of the assistants does it too tightly causing you to flinch. You glare at them. "If you wanna keep your hand after this I would be more careful."

Dr. Abbott chuckles as the assistant pales at the threat. "You're going to get yourself in trouble (Y/N)."

You can't respond as someone stuffs a mouth guard into your mouth to prevent you from biting on your tongue. They add a few more straps to hold you down. They then begin prepping you and cutting off your shirt so it won't get in the way.

Once he's ready the doctor speaks into the camera. "We will begin to administer the serum into the subjects system. We will use the same dosage as before. The subject will be in discomfort as we do not want to risk using anesthetics."

He looks down at you, "Let us begin."

He and his assistants begin to inject the serum. You bite down hard as the large needles are pushed in deep into your skin. The serum is inserted through the base of your neck, chest, and arms. Once it is done they then remove the syringes and wait for a reaction.

One of the assistants turns to the doctor. "It doesn't seem to-"

He is cut off by a muffled scream as you begin to struggle against your restraints and are trashing around. Tears running down your face you try to get up.

"Hold him down," Abbott orders as he notices some of the restraints come loose.

You manage to spit out your mouthguard and start yelling in pain. "Please make it stop! It hurts!"

"It means it's working!" the doctor yells back. "Just hold on (Y/N). It'll be okay."

Suddenly the screaming stops as you seem to freeze for a moment. You stop struggling and drop back on the table. Dr. Abbott immediately starts to check your pulse. A few seconds later he looks back at his team smiling.

"He'll live," he tells them. They cheer at their success as you lay unconscious on the table.

The video is then cut off.

Video 5:

Dr. Abbott is no longer wearing scrubs and instead is back to wearing his lab coat. He is no longer in his lab and instead is standing in the room where you used to be trained. You're standing in the background between two guards.

"Two days since the administration of the serum into subject ten's system. So far he has shown great progress," Abbott spoke into the camera. "But today we will be activating the serum to its full potential. I decided to test it in a bigger environment so I have more space to work in."

He approaches you with a syringe filled with something red inside. "Come here (Y/N)."

You try to back away from him but the guards hold you in place. You kick and scream at them to let you go but they throw you roughly on the ground. They lay their weight over you so they can hold you in place. Once they have you down Dr. Abbott injects your neck.

He quickly orders the guards off you and all three of them back away. They watch as you began thrashing around on the ground. You suddenly bolt to your feet and run-up to one of the grounds. You slam yourself into him and throw him onto the ground. He shouts as you lash out on him. The other guard quickly grabs you in a headlock and drags you off his friend. Both guards then struggle to keep you in place as Dr. Abbott smiles at you.

"(Y/N)," he calls out. "It's me (Y/N) I'm not going to hurt you."

You seem to relax as the doctor speaks to you. He tells the guards to let you go but this time you don't attack anyone. You stand there, your eyes glowing and baring your teeth aggressively.

Abbott smiles at the camera. "Subject ten is success."

Video 6:

When the video starts it shows you in the middle of a sparring arena surrounded by five hydra operatives. It is obvious time has passed as you looked a lot older. You're in a defensive stance as the operatives take turns trying to take you down.

Dr. Abbott is standing to the side along with a few men in suits. They watch as you take down agent after agent. When one is knocked down another takes its place in the ring. Some try to catch you by surprise behind you but you simply flip them over and throw them out of the ring. You have sweat running down your face and soaking your shirt, showing that you have been at this for hours.

Finally, you managed to take out everyone they threw at you until you were standing alone in the ring panting. Abbott smiled at the men standing next to him.

"Well, what do you think?"

"Your little science project has made progress," one of the men said, "but there doesn't seem to be a point for anything further."

"What," Abbott asked. "If my research continues I can have hundreds of soldiers like Animal in less than two years, we can have an army-"

"We have plenty of soldiers," another man told him. "This doesn't compare to what Strucker is doing."

"Strucker is messing with things he can't control!" Abbott shot back.

"What about this Animal of yours! We've heard he has a habit of talking back to his superiors"

"That's because he isn't a mindless weapon like the Asset! Animal is the first of a new race of Hydra soldiers. He has the ability to problem-solve and strategize better than others!"

"The answer is NO, Abbott! We will allow you to keep your pet that your so fond of, but there will be no others!"

With that the men walked out, leaving you and the doctor alone. As Abbott stood there looking defeated you walked up to him and put a hand on his shoulder. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No, it wasn't you (Y/N). Those bastards are just too dense to see how amazing you are," he told you.

"Why don't they?"

"Because they are afraid of you," he replied bluntly. "They can't control you as easily as the Winter Soldier and that scares them. They fear the thought that you are not only stronger but smarter than them."

"Are you afraid of me?"

He smiled fondly at you and puts his hands on your shoulders, "You would never hurt me would you (Y/N)?"

"No."

"Then I have no reason to be afraid."

The video stops there.

You close the laptop and zone out a bit as you stare across your room. So many emotions going through your right now. Anger, grief, guilt, betrayal, you can't even name the others. You grip tightly on the sides of your laptop until it starts to crack under the pressure.

You stand up and throw it against one of your walls creating a hole. You don't care as you start stomping on the device over and over again until it's nothing but rubble under your foot.

"Your vitals are alarming right now (Y/N)," Friday speaks in a concerned tone. "Would you like me to call someone to assist you?"

You take some deep breaths and wipe away the tears you hadn't noticed. "No, no, don't do that. I don't want anyone in here right now."

"Very well."

You sit on your bed going over what you just saw. Hydra had treated you like shit. You were a tool to them but you want to believe Dr. Abbott didn't think that. He always encouraged you even when he had to be hard on you. When you left you didn't feel bad about betraying Hydra you were worried about betraying him.

You groaned as you put your head in your hands. The Avengers wouldn't understand. To them Abbott was bad and that's the end of the story. They wouldn't understand the dilemma you're going through right now. You took a big breath in and out and then laid back on your bed staring at the ceiling.

"Friday," you called out.

"Yes?"

"Can you search someone up for me?"

"Certainly. What's their name?"

"Look up any deceased politicians with the last name (L/N)."

She was quiet for a moment before answering, "I have over a thousand results."

You pinched the bridge of your nose in frustration. "Okay let's start narrowing it down."

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_

A/N: I don't even remember how many times I had to rewrite this chapter. I struggled to make it clear that although Abbott was a nice guy it doesn't mean he's a good guy if that makes sense. Anyway, I hope you guys enjoy it. The next chapter will probably be more fluff.