Noise

As you were watching the video file, the screen suddenly went black and the audio cut off. Confused, you tried to figure out what was wrong. Your laptop seemed fine, but the files weren't playing. It seemed typical that the moment you were so close to finding out something important an obstacle stands in your way.

You messed around with the file and noticed it had become corrupted. It was old so it was a possibility. Fixing it would take a while so it wouldn't be the worst thing to take a break like you planned to. You needed to start interacting more with the team before they all started barging in wanting to give you another pep talk like Bucky. 

The lab was the best place to start. Bruce and Tony didn't mind you sitting around watching them work. Occasionally someone would spark a small conversation, or they would ask you to help. Your strength came in handy when Tony was building. Plus, the couch they had moved there was the comfiest thing in the whole compound.

Walking through the halls towards the lab you noticed the lights around you start to flicker. It was strange, but nothing truly troubling. You ignored it until it started to become more frequent.

"Friday," you called out, "What's wrong with the lights?"

"There-e-e seems t-t-to be a failure with the lights. Mr. Stark is looking into it," Friday answered. You noticed the lag in her response that made it sound as though she was stuttering.

"Are you okay?"

"Yes of course," she said, this time with no delay. You didn't think much of it after that.

You walked into the lab and saw most of the team gathered around Tony as he was typing on his computer. You walked up to Sam, "What's happening?"

"Tony was checking those files we recovered at the Hydra base. He thinks one of them was a trojan horse," Sam explains.

"I should have seen it coming," you heard Tony murmur. "There could be a virus in the system."

You felt a pang of guilt as you had been the one who found and gave him the files. When you fix the ones on your laptop you would also have to double-check if there aren't any surprises in them either. You didn't want to have to explain how another virus got into the system.

"Is that why Friday was acting weird?" you asked. Everyone turned to you concerned. Guess none of them knew that.

"When?" Tony asked. His creations were personal to him and didn't want any harm coming to them.

"As I was walking here," you told him, "The lights were flickering, and she seemed to be lagging."

"Friday is in charge of the whole compound if she gets affected a lot of our systems will go down."

"Can you do something about it?" Steve asked him.

"Of course," Tony said, sounding a little offended, "The virus is removable, it'll just take a while, and who knows what it will do by then."

"Need some help?" Natasha asked, taking a seat next to him. He turned on a screen for her and they both started typing.

"The rest of you should check if anything is out of place. Like I said Friday controls the whole place, and if she is corrupted so does the virus now."