Reprogram

Thor stomped back into the compound, frustrated. After you had run off and the search parties came up empty, he went to Agard to look for help. Judging from his state, it was unsuccessful.

"What is it, brother?" Loki asked. The injuries you had given him had proven difficult to heal. They would scar for sure.

"Heimdall can't find (Y/N)," Thor told him.

"How is that possible?"

"Abbott has been in hiding this whole time. Maybe he planned ahead in case we decided to use some Asgardian magic," Natasha suggested.

"Are we sure Abbott has him?

Tony sighed as he slumped into his seat. "Where else can he be? If he were in the woods or made it to the city, we would have known. And if the serum had worn off, he would be back here. There's no other explanation for why we can't find him."

"He's still alive," Bucky spoke up. After you had headbutted him, he had to have his nose relocated. The swelling had gone down, but he was left with some black eyes.

"Why are you so sure?" Steve asked him.

"(Y/N) is too valuable for Abbott. I don't know what he has planned for him, but I know he won't kill him."

"Will he hurt him?" Loki asked.

Bucky's metal hand clenched at the thought. "...most likely."

Tony stood up from his seat abruptly. Sitting around doing nothing while you were possibly being tortured bothered him. "I'm going to go check on Banner. He should be up by now."

Bruce was able to turn back quicker thanks to Thor, but he had been out of it. Tony needed something to distract him, so he was going to check on his friend. The team let him go, knowing he was just as frustrated as them.

"So we just go back to twiddling our thumbs, hoping something will happen?" Clint asked.

"Got any better ideas?" Steve asked, annoyed.

"Just saying what we're all thinking. We have nothing."

Loki tossed an old book on the coffee table, grabbing everyone's attention. "Speak for yourself, Barton."

Thor recognized the pages. "Your old book of tricks? How is that going to help?"

"I found a spell that could help track (Y/N). It's stronger than you might think."

"What's the hold-up?" Pietro asked.

"The ingredients are rare. The faster we get them, the faster I can find (Y/N)."

"Let's hurry then," Steve said. "Wherever (Y/N) is, he must be scared."

----------

"I'm going to tear you two apart!" you shouted at the two Hydra thugs in front of you. They didn't even flinch as you tried to lunge at them just to be pulled back by the collar around your neck chained to the wall.

You had woken up without any memory pass blacking out in the compound. You were confused by the chains, and the two thugs hadn't bothered to explain anything.

"If you keep struggling, you'll hurt your neck," someone spoke. You turned to the door and saw Dr. Abbott walk in. His presence just gave you more questions.

"This isn't real," you told him. "I'm having a nightmare. There's no way you're here."

"Why, because you think the Avengers wouldn't allow it?" he asked, sitting in a nearby chair.

You lunged at him, but the chains held you back until you were only a foot apart. "I don't know how you did it, but I know they're going to hurt you when they found out I'm here."

Abbott smiled and leaned in closer. "You're putting a lot of trust in them. That is very unlike you, Animal."

You sneered as he used that name. It always felt so derogatory coming out of his mouth, as if that's all he saw you as. "You don't know me, not anymore."

"I would argue that I do, but you're right. I don't know you anymore. You used to be loyal, strong, and ruthless. Now, look at you. Running around playing the hero as if that's what you were made for."

"You didn't make me," you spat bitterly. "You broke me! You tore me down until I was forced to rely on you. You took away-"

"I gave you everything!" Abbott stood up abruptly, putting his hand around your neck. "I gave you strength and promised you power, and how did you repay me? If it wasn't for me, you would be dead years ago!"

"Then do it!" You leaned into his grip. "Kill me!"

You felt his hand tremble for a moment before he let you go. You didn't understand the hesitation but didn't have time to think too hard on it as his fist connected to your mouth. You stumbled back and tasted something metallic.

Abbott looked at the blood fall from your lips and scowled. "Why get rid of you when I can just reprogram you?"

"Reprogram? You don't mean-"

"Perhaps my past superiors were correct. I made the mistake of giving you too much free will." Abbott gestured to one of the thugs with blonde hair and then to the one with brown hair. "Meet Ajax and Hector. Your brothers."

You let out a laugh as you stare at the two men. "Let me guess, you failed at replacing me with Otis and then tried again with these two clowns. No offense, but they don't look too bright."

Abbott spoke softly so only you could hear him. "You're right. Otis was unstable, more beast than man at this point. I tried to correct it by programming Ajax and Hector into being more submissive but..."

You both turned to look at them as they blankly stared at a wall waiting for their orders. The Winter Soldier was programmed to be submissive to his superiors, but you doubted he was so hollow.

"You're going to turn me into a zombie?" you asked. The thought of being a mindless drone terrified you. In the past, you had followed orders without questions, but you were still capable of thinking for yourself.

"It'll be different for you," Abbott said. "You'll be a perfect mixture of yourself and the Winter Soldier."

"Will I at least keep my sense of humor?"

"No, which we can both agree is for the best."

"The Avengers aren't going to let you get away with this!" You shouted as he walked out the door.

He stopped and looked back at you. "I don't think they'll care what I do after what you did to them."

"What are you talking about?"

"You don't remember," he smirked. "You went ballistic. You tore apart everything in your path."

"You set me up," you said as you remember getting injected by the intruder on the compound.

"What did you think would happen? You're a killer, not a house pet." He left with Ajax and Hector, leaving you alone.

You curled up in a corner feeling lonely. You wanted to go home.