Recognition

You woke up hours later feeling different and struggling to take in your surroundings.

"My head is killing me," you tried muttering, but all that came out of your mouth was a low whine. "What?"

You stood up, but your feet felt weird, in fact, your whole body felt weird. You tried putting a hand to your head to help soothe your headache but felt something odd. You then looked down at your hands and feet and gasped when you saw them covered in fur.

Trying not to panic, you looked around and recognized the Hulk-proof cage in the compound. On the bright side, it meant you were home, but it also made you wonder why you were inside it. You took a couple of steps forward, noticing you felt taller than usual, and looked at yourself in the reflection of the glass. What you saw caused you to fall back and scream out in surprise.

"Woah, what's happening here?" Pietro asked as he ran into the room. He had heard you howl from down the hall, and Friday said you looked distressed. "What's wrong? Are you hungry?"

"What do you mean what's wrong? Look at me, Pietro!" you shouted at him, but all that came out of your mouth was a roar.

"Okay, so you are hungry. I'll go get someone to bring you something to eat."

"No! You're not understanding!" You lunged forward, pounding on the glass. Pietro stepped back in surprise, and you kept throwing yourself against it in frustration.

"Okay, I'm getting Wanda!" The speedster ran out of there to get his sister, knowing she had been able to calm you down before.

You couldn't properly communicate, and you had no idea what happened to your body. You grew frustrated and awkwardly sat on the ground.

When Pietro returned with Wanda, she immediately knew what he meant when he said you were acting weird. You were sitting in a human-like position which was unnerving to see with how animalistic you looked. You had your front paws covering your eyes.

"(Y/N)...," Wanda said softly. "Can you understand me?"

You dropped your hands from your face and shook your head with a soft whine. Both the Maximoff twins looked at you in shock. This was the first time you showed any true sign of understanding them.

"Can you speak?"

You shook your head, knowing she wouldn't understand you. Wanda stared at you for a moment and noticed your eyes were no longer glowing. She could see your (E/C) iris and realized you were lucid but didn't know how long it would last.

"Do you remember anything from the past couple of days? Do you remember transforming into this or fighting the team? How about saving Peter?"

You shook your head no to all of her questions, and Wanda struggled to think of how much you remembered. You obviously recognized her, but Abbott could have still done some serious damage to your head.

"Call the others," she told her brother. "Tell them it's urgent."

Pietro went around the compound, urging everyone to gather around your cage again. When they all did as he said, they found Wanda opening the door and letting you out.

"Wanda! What are you doing?" Natasha shouted as she tried to pull the woman away.

Wanda didn't budge. She watched as you slowly stepped out of your cage and cowered by her side when you noticed the odd looks the others were giving you. She gave you a reassuring pat on the head and smiled. "He won't hurt anyone, right (Y/N)?"

You nodded, and there was a collective gasp around the room. Thor was the first to step forward with a broad grin. "(Y/N)!"

Relieved to see him smiling, you stood up on your hind feet, towering over him. You then wrapped your arms around him and picked him up in a hug. Instead of complaining, he burst out laughing while grabbing you by the horns. "I knew you would be okay!"

You eventually let him go, and then Tony rushed over, "I want a bear hug too!"

You crouched down and relished in the attention everyone was giving you.

"Okay, let's give him some room," Steve said. "Can you explain what happened, Wanda?"

Wanda told him about what she had asked you and how you couldn't speak. They then began discussing her worries about this moment being temporary.

While they spoke, you felt someone run their hand through the fur on your arm, and you looked down to see Loki. You bent down so the two of you were at eye level and he smirked. "I must say I quite like the horns."

You felt yourself grow flustered at the compliment. You had been afraid he would be a bit repulsed by your transformation.

"I don't know how to deal with the fact you're taller than everyone here." You turned to see Bucky smiling at you. You were also very glad he didn't seem to mind either. "I'm happy to have you back."

Someone ran up to you and hugged you.

"You're okay," Peter said as he held you for dear life. Of course, you weren't in the best state right now, but at least you were alive, and that meant everything to him.

You were a bit confused at his presence. Peter wasn't around the compound a lot. Did Tony tell him what happened?

Either way, you were happy to see him. You grabbed the teenager from the back of the shirt and lifted him off the ground. He laughed in excitement. "You look so cool right now."

You bared your teeth while trying to smile but quickly stopped when you realized it may have looked threatening.

"A pleasure to finally properly meet you, Mr. (L/N)." You slowly put Peter down and noticed two new people you had never seen before. The man held out his hand but awkwardly put it down when he realized you couldn't return the gesture, making the teenage girl next to him laugh.

T'Challa then introduced himself as the King of Wakanda, and you didn't know if you were supposed to bow or not. Princess Shuri seemed a lot bolder than him. She stepped forward and tried to get a closer look at your teeth. "Was this all caused by Dr. Abbott, or is some of this preexisting?"

You tried answering, but all that came out was nonsense.

"Interesting."

"Shuri...," her brother said in a warning tone.

"I want to see what we'll be working with when we take him to Wakanda."

"That hasn't been decided," Loki quickly cut in.

"We can also help (L/N) purge what Abbott did to his mind just as we helped Barnes," T'Challa argued.

Not understanding what they were talking about, you stood back but staggered when your vision grew hazy. You shook your head, but then you started feeling... weird. You let out a low growl and kept trying to shake it off.

"(Y/N)?" Bucky asked when he noticed you acting odd.

Using your last bit of common sense, you went back into the cage. Having caught their attention, Tony quickly closed the door behind you as your eyes began glowing again.

"I was right; it didn't last long," Wanda sighed as she watched any recognition of who you left your eyes.