First Phase

"Can't you go faster?" Bucky asked.

Loki sighed as he looked up from his book. "I can't continue until I have all the ingredients. Thor is working on it."

"We have to have patience," Steve told his friend.

Bucky muttered something under his breath that annoyed the trickster. Loki shoved some of the ingredients into his hands. "If you think you can do it better, then please be my guest, Barnes."

"That's enough," Tony snapped at the two of them. He had been working nearby and had grown tired of their bickering. "You two aren't the only ones who are worried about (Y/N)! Bruce and I are killing ourselves over here finding an alternative! Steve, Natasha, Clint, and Pietro have gone out to look for him for hours! Thor and Wanda are who knows where trying to find your stupid magic ingredients! Your pissing contest isn't helping anyone right now!"

Bucky and Loki had the decency to look ashamed after Tony scolded them. Loki got his stuff and went back to work, and instead of bothering him, Bucky offered to help.

Tony also went back to work but was still fuming from his rant. He has been staring at the screen for hours in hopes of getting a lead on your whereabouts. He had Friday looking into the internet for any mentions of you but so far, nothing. Everyone was doing their part and getting restless at the lack of news.

"Any word from Thor?" Steve asked the billionaire. He would still be out there searching, but they started going in shifts so no one would wear themselves out.

"Nothing," Tony told him. "I gave him a phone, but now that I think about it-"

He was cut off as a circle of sparks appeared in the room. Everyone besides Loki seemed alarmed as it started to grow.

"Please be anybody but this clown," Loki muttered.

When the circle got large enough, it became more noticeable it was a portal. Thor and another man in a cape walked through.

"Care to explain, Thor," Bruce asked.

"This is Stephen Strange, he's a friend," Thor introduced. "And a wizard."

"Doctor Stephen Strange," Strange corrected. "And the preferred term is Master of the Mystic Arts."

"Nobody's calling you that," Loki told him.

Dr. Strange looked at him surprised. "You're still on Earth."

"Is there an issue?"

Thor quickly cut in. "Dr. Strange has offered to help."

Strange nodded. "I hear you're trying to find (L/N). I have some ingredients for the spell you're working on."

"Great, leave them and go," Loki said.

"I'm not too keen on leaving them with you."

"Okay, I'm going to ask the obvious question here," Tony said. "How do you all know this wizard, and how does he know (Y/N)?"

Thor shrugged. "It's a long story."

"A friend of Thor's is a friend of ours," Steve said, offering him a handshake. "Thank you for your help."

"I still don't like him," Loki told his brother.

Strange heard him and raised an eyebrow. "Do you want my help finding your lost pet or not?"

It was surprisingly Steve that corrected him. "Friend, (Y/N) is a friend. Not a pet."

Strange apologized and got to work with Loki who still wasn't happy about it.

-------------

"Is the machine ready?" Abbott asked his colleague.

"It's ready to go when you say, sir."

"Good, here they come."

Ajax and Hector walked into the room while holding you up by your arms. Abbott had made them sedate you, but it would be wearing off soon.

"Strap him in," he ordered. The two men sat you down in the chair attached to the machine and then stepped back.

Abbott nodded at the operator, who then turned it on, causing the restraints to kick in.

The feeling of roughly being pulled back and the cold metal on your skin brought you back to reality. You tried to shake off your daze, but you couldn't move your head.

You start hyperventilating as you recognize your surroundings. You've seen this machine before. You've seen it break men's minds and put them in agonizing pain. And you've seen what they turn to.

"The more you fight it, the worst it'll hurt," Abbott told you. He walked closer so that he could look down at you.

You choked down your fear so that you can glare at him. You weren't going to let him have the satisfaction of seeing you scared this time. "Are you sure you want to downgrade?"

"You've left me no choice."

"You'll miss me," you taunt.

He chuckled, "You'll still be here."

"Not all of me."

"Any last requests?"

"Yeah, let me go."

"Any reasonable requests?"

You looked him right in the eye as you spoke, not a hint of humor in your voice. "If this doesn't work out as you promised and I end up like the zombie twins...I want you to shoot me."

Again there was some hesitation on Abbott's part before he turned away from you. "I'll keep that in mind."

He gave you a mouth guard to bite down on and then stepped away. The operator pressed some buttons, and the machine began to move. You could hear the parts that strapped to your head crackle with electricity.

Suddenly all your courage left you as they came down to your temples and pressed together. Instantly a blinding pain filled your head and made it feel as though it was going to explode.

Abbott watched as you thrashed around in the chair. Your screams were muffled by the mouth guard but excruciating to hear regardless.

Abbott came up with an excuse to leave. "Tell me when you're done. I have to continue prepping for the last phase of our plan."