Simulation

"I can't believe you made me get rid of Tony," you complain as you sit in a chair in the lab.

"Please stop referring to the raccoon with my name," Human Tony told you. He was working on some new projects and had asked you to come to help him. Desperate for a distraction, you got rid of your hesitation in stepping into the lab and joined him. "He's a wild animal; he's probably happy to be back home."

"I hate it when you make a point."

"Get used to it."

"What are you working on anyway?" You lean over Tony's shoulder and notice he is tweaking a program on his computer.

"I'm updating the training simulator. Some people have been complaining it is not realistic enough or that it is too easy," Tony responded bitterly.

"By people, you mean..."

"Natasha and Steve."

"Sounds about right." You continue to watch his screen and a few phrases catch your attention. "There's a nightmare simulation? What does that even mean?"

Tony grins, "That one was just for fun. It makes it appear like you're being chased by zombies and stuff. Halloween is coming up so I thought it would be a fun activity."

"Nice, but why exactly am I here?"

"I need a guinea pig."

You shrug, "That about sums up my life."

"Lighten up, I got someone else to agree to join us."

"Who?"

"Hi, Mr. (L/N). Mr. Stark!" You turned around and noticed a familiar teen walk into the lab.

Without hesitation, you pulled the boy into a hug once he was in reach. "Peter! Where have you been? It feels like I haven't seen you in forever!"

Peter laughed as you ruffled his hair. "Sorry I haven't stopped by. I've been busy with school and being Spiderman."

"Be honest Peter, we all know you were avoiding him," Tony jokes.

You shove Stark playfully. "I am a delight to have around."

After some banter, Tony hooks Peter and you up with his VR system. It consisted of just some glasses and earpieces. He also gave you a fake handgun while Peter remained with his web-shooters.

"I'm going to start with an easy one," Tony announces over some speakers. "It'll be like capturing the flag. Simply get the briefcase on the other side of the building and bring it back."

As your surroundings started to shift you loaded your fake weapon and turned to Peter. "Let's start with a stealth approach first. If we do end up drawing attention to ourselves, you'll take point and I'll provide cover."

"Are you sure?" Peter asked under his Spiderman mask. "Shouldn't you take point; you have more experience."

You shake your head as you crouch behind some fake crates. "You'll do fine."

You move towards your objective quietly while Peter climbs the walls and ceiling to avoid being detected. For a moment you think you'll be able to beat this simulation by just avoiding the fake guards but then you hear a gunshot from your right.

You turn and see Peter dodging virtual bullets as all the guards aim in his direction. With your cover blown you proceed to fire your weapon taking some of the pressure off the web-slinger.

"Grab the case and get to the extraction point," you order in your comms.

"On it!"

Without an issue, Peter used his webs to grab the case and swing past you towards the goal. You were right behind covering for him.

"Task accomplished. Simulation a success," you hear Friday say in the comms.

"I think that's the first one I've done where I haven't been shot by my teammate," you tell Peter. You give him a high-five and then let Tony start a new one.

Stark would turn up the difficulty after each round. You would assess the situation and then give a quick order to Parker. The kid was quick to follow your lead but when a situation required him to improvise, he was quick on his feet.

"You went through most of the new simulations," Tony said, walking into the room. You and Peter had been at this for hours and finally decided to call it quits.

You removed your gear and handed it to Tony. "What about the nightmare one?"

"I told you, I'm saving it for a special occasion."

"You guys were great," Natasha complimented, walking in with Rogers and Wilson behind her.

"The kid still needs practice, though," Sam teased.

You patted Peter on the shoulder reassuringly. "I think you did awesome."

He smiled, "Thanks."

"So, did you," Steve told you. "You used to suck in these team exercises. You've shown improvement."

You shrug and try to play off his compliment. "I was used to doing solo missions, but I've been trained to adapt. It's not that big of a deal."

Sam punched you playfully in the shoulder. "Look at you, being modest."

"Well, I have to keep it humble," You say, making him laugh.

Natasha grabbed the fake gun from you, "Okay, it's our turn."

"All yours."

You left the group so that you could freshen up in your room. When you finished, you were planning to rejoin them, but a ringing sound made you freeze in your tracks. The sound was faint, so you wanted to believe it was coming from somewhere else, but as you stepped closer towards the floorboards near your bed it got louder.

You stared at the loose floorboard for what felt like forever, hoping that the ringing would stop, but it didn't. It just kept going.