Meeting

Your leg shook as you waited on the bench in the middle of Central Park. You had finally answered a call from Dr. Abbott, and he had instructed you to meet him here. It took forever for you to get out of the compound without drawing suspicion from your team.

"I'm surprised they let you off your leash for this long," a familiar voice said in a mocking tone.

"I've earned their trust," you replied as the doctor sat next to you.

Abbott scoffed, "If that's what you want to call it."

You both sat there for a while, watching people walk by. It was crowded, so the two of you didn't stand out.

After what felt like forever, he finally spoke. "Why did it take you forever to answer my calls?"

You avoid his gaze as you lied. "I've been busy."

"Busy," he repeated. "Do you really think that's a valid excuse?"

You couldn't help but flinch as he stared at you. His expression was blank, but the look in his eye ran shivers down your spine. You didn't want him to punish you as he did before. "N-no, sir. It's just that the Avengers are observant, and it's hard to do anything without them noticing. I was just waiting for the right time."

That appeased the doctor for a moment as he turned away from you and looked back at the crowd. "I have a task for you (Y/N). Can I trust you to do it for me?"

Your mouth went dry as you answered. "My loyalty to you is unwavering, sir."

There have always been two sides to the Doctor. There was the cold, calculated leader who trained you to be a soldier and to follow his orders. But there was also the kind fatherly figure who would protect you from his Hydra superiors and praised you. Thankfully the smile he had on his face told you, you were now talking to the latter.

"Good to know the Avengers haven't filled your head with nonsense," he said as he leaned back in his seat.

Seeing him in a more pleasant mood helped get you to relax a little. "What is the task you want me to do?"

"A source of the Avengers is about to feed them false information about me. It'll take them to a remote location where I have a trap waiting for them. I want you to help me set off that trap."

You felt your stomach drop as you listened to him. The thought of betraying the Avengers was making you physically ill, but you kept a neutral expression. "What's the trap?"

"You'll receive more detailed instructions when you get there."

"Anything else, sir?" You asked as you stood up. You wanted to get out of here fast.

Abbott grabbed your wrist, gently pulling you back into your seat. "What's the hurry? It's been a long time since we've talked."

"Yes, it has." You took a deep breath and settled back into your seat. You did have a lot of questions for the doctor, but the news he had just given you was taking up most of your thoughts.

"You've changed since I last saw you," Abbott commented. That certainly brought you back to the moment.

"I got a new haircut," you replied, making him chuckle.

"I wasn't talking about your appearance. What I mean is your personality has changed. You've matured."

"Is that a good thing?"

Abbott smiled fondly. "I suppose, yes. You used to make a lot of cheesy jokes and were a lot more reckless."

"I haven't noticed."

He put a hand on your shoulder. "This is good (Y/N). It looks like hanging around those idiots has helped your character."

You fiddled with your fingers. "Perhaps I needed some time away from Hydra to grow."

"Things are different in Hydra now. They're less chaotic now that we're united again."

"That's... good."

Abbott patted your shoulder. "It's all thanks to you. When this is over, you will be welcomed back as a hero. I'll give you a high-ranking position, and we will be in charge, just like we always talked about."

It was true that when you were younger, you dreamed of rising in the ranks and getting to the top of the food chain in Hydra. But the more you grew and the more they made you do, that dream went away. Their cruel actions and false philosophies they made you believe in are what pushed you away; and what made you join the Avengers. The only reason you were even here was because of your loyalty to the doctor, but your new relationship with your team was making you doubt his words.

"Do you think I am capable of leading?" you asked.

"That's what I raised you for." Abbott put his hand on your cheek, affectionately. "You are my legacy (Y/N). My greatest success and Hydra's future."

You were starting to feel guilty again. Your loyalty is split, and your heart is struggling to choose. Your common sense was telling you that no matter what you decided to do, you would end up betraying someone, and that was what you were dreading. You can't play both sides forever.

Abbott moved away as his phone buzzed. He looked down at his screen and frowned. "I have to leave but remember what I said. You'll know when the trap is set, all you have to do is play your part."

He gave you one last pat on the shoulder before disappearing into the crowd.

Now alone, you slouched into the bench and let out a deep breath. The only thought running through your head was, "I'm so screwed."