Precautions

"Before today Dr. Harold Abbott was a dead man," Steve declared as he passed around copies of a file to everyone in the conference room.

You opened the file and were immediately met with a familiar face. You stared at the photo of the man with black hair and blue eyes as he smiled at the camera. He was wearing a lab coat and was standing next to a computer with a bunch of data displayed on the screen. He looked younger than you remembered but that was Dr. Abbott. 

"It says here he has like five different PhDs," Tony commented, impressed as he had less.

"I have seven PhDs," Bruce whispered to you. It helped lighten the mood and made you chuckle. 

"His medical license was revoked, why?" Clint asked skimming through the file. 

"Medical malpractice," Steve replied, "Apparently the participants in his research weren't properly informed."

"What was he researching?"

"Most of that information was destroyed or redacted after he lost his job. His employers wanted to avoid a lawsuit. After that, according to public records, he was found dead in his car with a bullet in his head. It was ruled a suicide."

"That wasn't true," you murmured as you looked through the crime scene photos attached. Whoever set up the crime scene did an excellent job of making it believable. You would have even thought it was real if you had not seen the doctor alive after his death. 

"Any information on him during his time in Hydra?" Wanda asked Steve.

"From our previous raids on known Hydra facilities, we were able to find out he had worked closely with Strucker before his death," Steve told her observing her reaction as he mentioned the man who had given her powers. "Abbott was then relocated to a base posing as a military research facility to work on some personal projects. He remained there for years until he recently moved again to a facility somewhere in Siberia."

"Why are we focusing on him? He doesn't sound like he was remarkably high up in the hierarchy," Bucky commented.

"After Strucker's death, Hydra broke off into factions. That's what our raids have been for, to take them out before they can regroup. We have sources that Dr. Abbott is now in charge of one of the largest Hydra factions."

"The doctor always did believe he should be running the show," you told them, "Did your sources give you a more specific location than just Siberia?"

"No. You wouldn't happen to know, would you?"

"I've never been to Siberia or at least I think I haven't," you answered honestly. "He must have moved after...I left."

"I think I know where we can find out." Steve turned on the big screen and an aerial image of a base was displayed. 

"Home sweet home," you joked as you looked at the familiar building. It was large but was surrounded by a thick forest that would have made it invisible on the ground.

Looking at it you could practically picture the inside layout of the base. The training room where you had been taught how to fight, the shooting range in the back where you learned how to shoot a gun for the first time, and the little broom closet you considered your room. Most of those memories came with scolding and berating.