chapter thirty-eight

SPELLBOUND

chapter thirty-eight

Ivy laid on her bed as she stared at the ceiling

Ivy laid on her bed as she stared at the ceiling. It was a rare moment when she had time to herself. Lately, all her time had been consumed by the amount of intense training that Killian had her under.

Killian said that she had to make up for all her lost years. And every time Ivy tried arguing that it wasn't her fault that her powers came in so late or that Aiden and Ethan hid this fact from her for so long. But of course, Killian would have none of that each time and just continue to train her harder.

Though she supposed the training had some perks. She was now able to better control her magic.

Ivy heard a soft knock against her door and groaned. "Come in," she stated, not daring to see who had entered her bedroom, as the door opened.

She felt the bed dip beside her, but her eyesight still wouldn't leave the ceiling.

"Now what is so fascinating about this ceiling that you kept on staring at," the voice of her dear brother Ethan questioned.

"It's empty," Ivy stated.

Ethan chuckled, "You know you're more than welcome to decorate however you like. This is your bedroom after all."

Ivy smiled, "I mean it's blank. It's like a blank slate. You can start over anytime."

"You feel like starting over?" Ethan asked, figuring that her statement was a little more than just the ceiling wall.

"No, I quite like how things are right now. Liam and I are good. You and Jackson are good together. We're happy, E. It's just I didn't think that we could ever reach this after Aiden died. Staring at the ceiling, this blank slate, just kind of gives me the chance to be reminded of everything you know."

"You know, he's probably up there in joy, maybe a little happy dance here and there. He'll be proud of us."

"I'm proud of us, E."

"So am I, Ivy."

Ivy finally broke her stares from the ceiling and turned to her brother. "Please don't tell me the reason why you came up here was for another training session."

"Don't worry, you're not training tonight."

"I'm not?"

"Nope, you, Jackson, and I are all going out to dinner. So get dressed, and for the love of God, please put on something nice."

"I dress nicely!" Ivy stated as she crossed her arms against her chest.

"Hmm, we're leaving within the hour!"

✯☾✯

Ivy couldn't even say she was surprised. The moment Ethan told her to dress nicely, she should have realized that he was taking them somewhere fancy.