chapter forty-four

SPELLBOUND

chapter forty-four

"So how's the Gwen protection plan coming along?" Ivy asked her best friend as the two of them entered Beacon Hills High School

"So far so good," Hayden answered as she noticed Gwen, "Gotta go," Hayden told Ivy as she headed in the direction of Gwen.

Ivy chuckled as she decided to stick around and watch Hayden and Gwen's interaction.

"You don't have to follow me around everywhere," Gwen told Hayden as she closed her locker.

"I'm just trying to keep you safe," Hayden told her.

"What? You're gonna sit through all my classes? And what about after school? What about all night?" Gwen questioned.

"Wherever you go, I'll be there," Hayden answered as the two of them walked until they reached the girl's bathroom. "I'll just stay here."

Gwen walked inside the bathroom and Hayden looked over to Ivy. Ivy smiled as she sent her two thumbs up. "Good luck!" Ivy advised as she headed towards the school library, having a feeling that's where her boyfriend was.

✯☾✯

Ivy placed her bag on the table as she took a seat across from her boyfriend and Mason. "So what are we researching?" Ivy asked the boys.

"Lightning," Liam answered.

Ivy chuckled, "So we're trying to figure out how the riders ride the lightning, huh?"

"Pretty much."

Ivy nodded, "Well, then pass me a book."

After spending some time reading and researching, Liam managed to find something. "The K-index quantifies disturbances in the horizontal component of earth's magnetic field."

Ivy nodded her head as if she understood what Liam had just read out loud, but in reality, she had no idea what any of that even meant.

"What's a 'K-index'?" Liam questioned. "Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing?" Ivy added.

"It's a scale that meteorologists use to measure thunderstorm activity," Mason informs them, but both Liam & Ivy just raise their eyebrows in confusion, urging Mason to elaborate more. "So, a K-Index value less than 20 means no activity, and above 35 is severe."

"Well, how bad is severe?" Liam asked.

"Well, your average storm has about 1,000 lightning strikes."

"So, how much has Beacon Hills had?" Ivy raised the question.

"In the past three months, the average storm in Beacon Hills had 5,000," Mason answered her.