Chapter 38

"What took you so long?" Pearl questioned, snatching the bag of items away from my hand. "Our plan was up until the party was over, not overnight."

"I'm sorry. Luciano wasn't letting me go," I curled my hands around myself and rubbed my arms, providing my self with some heat. Glancing back at the castle that was now a long walk away from the town, I wished that he hadn't let me go.

"Get in the car. We are leaving!" She pushed me inside the passenger seat and got in the drivers seat. Throwing the bag of items behind, she started the engine and rushed out of the town. "You don't how close I was to getting caught,"

I heard Pearl curse out a few words at me while I stared out of the window, looking at the morning sky and wondering how much longer I had to wait to get a glimpse of my daughter.

It wasn't long before we arrived at Lunaris and went straight to the Halbert Mansion where I met Gretel.

"You did a wonderful job, Red." She said, applauding for what I had done when in reality, I had done nothing except for fool her. She'd never know what was coming in her way and with her talisman gone, she was going to be destroyed.

"Thank you," I lowered my head and replied while playing with the hem of my clothes. I still ought to shower after everything I had done with Luciano—or everything he had done with me.

After looking at the items, Gretel put them aside and stood up. "Everything is going to go as it's planned and soon, the plague of werewolves that have ruined us will be ended."

I nodded but deep down, I simply wanted to roll my eyes and kill her.

My heart skipped a beat when her fingers lengthened out to my neck where I bore Luciano's mark, again. My lungs filled up with air and I turned to the side as Gretel pushed the hair behind.

"What is this?" Her lips parted and she asked, "Is this Luciano's mark?"

"Yes,"

"God. Red!" She scolded me, "This wasn't supposed to happen. Why did you let him mark you? You know what this means?"

"I'm sorry," I uttered, my lips barely moving. Why did he even need to mark me? Especially after knowing that I didn't want him. "I got lost in the moment and it happened so quickly,"

Gretel groaned before lowering on the couch. She rubbed her forehead, occasionally looking at me with disappointment.

"You can get rid of it, right?"

"No," she snapped, "It can only happen once. If we try it again, chances of death are more than survival."

"Oh..." I trailed off, "But it's just a mark, nothing will happen with it."

"Of course," Gretel gathered up herself and smiled at me. "It's nothing to be worried about," Although, she didn't sound like that. Was she hiding something?

"Right,"

"You can go and rest. We will talk tomorrow,"

My chest heaved and I turned around to leave at once but something gripped me. I stopped and asked, "Can I go to the basement?"

"Why?"

One of my shoulders lifted and I shrugged, "I need to remove my sorrow,"

"All right! You can go but have someone by your side. I don't want you to be dead,"

Before going anywhere, I visited Lisa who was doing quite well. She was swinging on the small swings outside and enjoying the cold weather when I went to her. We shared a few hugs before I joined her on the swing beside her.

I was happy for Lisa, even after everything, she was still fine, doing great. I barely saw her crying or mourning for the wrong Gretel had done to her. Whilst I was loosing my senses staying here with her.

I wrapped my hands around the cold metal and allowed them to dig in my skin as I went back and forth on the swing.

"So, he marked you again?"

My teeth gnashed together as my jaw clenched, "Yeah," I wasn't happy about it either. We weren't ever going to end up together—not even after all this was over. I was going to live an estranged life with my daughter, away from these two worlds that vowed to ruin my life.

"Do you know what that means?" Lisa asked, her eyes growing with intensity.

"What? Gretel told me it's fine,"

"Oh, Red. If Luciano dies, so do you."

I laughed, "No, that's not possible." I had never ever heard anything like that, not even in books.

"Yes, it's only applied to King's and Queen's. If the stronger one dies, so does his or her mate. However, if you die, he won't, it only weakens him as you're the weaker one." Lisa explained in gibberish that didn't go through my head.

When I took a moment to understand her words, I stopped swinging. "But, Gretel told me it was fine."

"She's lying,"

"No," A frightened gasped escaped my mouth. "She wouldn't lie to me, especially about this."

Lisa nodded, "You don't know about all the things she have lied about. She won't tell you about this because it doesn't matters to her. Two strong, powerful beings dead, what else can be better than that for her?"

My mouth turned dry and a bile filled up my throat. I placed my hand over my heart, my eyes wide with fear. Gretel was never on my side. It was all an act.

Nevertheless, I wasn't sincere either.

"I need to go," I stood up from the swing and announced.

"Where?"

"I need to get my mind off everything,"

I walked away from the small play area and went towards the rocky door outside the Halbert Mansion that led towards the basement. The basement was were Gretel captured and kept wolves that were found any where around here. The wolves were all part of her plan to help me strengthen my powers.

I went down the cobblestone staircase, sniffing the dead and the strong scent of blood. Blood of wolves were smeared all over the walls while their bodies lied there for days. When they began rotting, Gretel would have someone to take them away and dump them at the outskirts of the town where no one would find them.

By the time I reached the basement, most of the wolves were asleep but one of them was awake, tied to the wall. His eyes darkened when he saw me. A growl pushed past his lips and he tried to shift but failed.

"Where are you from?" I asked.

"Fuck you, bitch." He cursed out in a thick British accent and his cheeks darkened with anger. "Fucking crazy witches,"

"Where are you from?" I asked again, hoping for an answer this time.

When he did answer me, I killed him, in a swift second and freed him from his pain.

Ah, hypocrite little Red 

Happy New Year! 

Read the full book on patreon now; www.patreon.com/miakerr