Chapter 41

In the process of jumping off the bus, I split the fragile skin around my leg into half and began bleeding. Great. Pain bubbled in my throat but I restrained my self from screaming and grabbing the attention of everyone around here—including the wolves.

I got back on my feet in a minute and began walking away from the bus that had now started moving. Just a few steps later, I was grabbed by someone and pushed down on the ground.

For a second, I thought I was going to die until I looked at the face above me. "Ben?"

"Red." He moved back, pulling his hand away from my throat. "What are you doing?"

Leaving.

"I want to speak to Luciano," I sat up straight and lifted my head to meet his dangerous gaze. It had been a while since I last saw him.

"This isn't a good time," He whispered to me before grabbing my elbow and pulling me up from the ground. Holding me firm, we moved far away from the checkpoint and all the other wolves.

My heart thundered in my chest as I followed him to a clearing. "I want to see him,"

"Unless you have a death wish, you wouldn't want that." He said, his tone bitter and filled with truth. "And, you decided the best way you could come here was taking the bus? Are you out of your mind? These wolves don't know you and we ordered to kill anyone who looks like a witch."

"I know," I stopped for a second and breathed. "I shouldn't be here, but, I really want to talk to him. I will leave immediately once I am done." I begged him to take me to Luciano.

Ben gave me a harsh glare before silencing down for a few seconds. He moved his hands away from his stomach and nodded his head. "Fine. I will take you. Can you walk?"

"Yes, yes, I can." I couldn't. And, I didn't care.

I limped behind Ben who passed through the checkpoint and the other wolves with ease. They didn't notice us. We reached the roads that led us inside Brittleburgh.

"Get in," Ben said, opening the passenger door of his car for me.

I got inside without hesitation and my limbs finally felt at peace. Ben got inside as well, his eyes firm and cold as he drove away from the checking point and into the town.

A shudder ran down my spine and I narrowed my eyes, looking away from the bustling town. There was something strange inside me and I could exactly assume what it was—the fear of Luciano's wrath or what his people might do to me if they learned I was here.

"Can I ask you something?"

"Yeah?" Ben gave me a glance before looking back at the road.

"What happened with Charlotte?"

"She's was executed a few hours ago,"

Oh. I swallowed the bile growing in my throat and stumbled back on the seat. It wasn't what I expected. Not so quick. The sun was rising and Jaqueline told me at night that she'd be executed at morning.

Breathe. I reminded my self as I felt a shortness of breath. Hot flashes past through me and the ache between my chest quickened.

I never wished for Charlotte to die—not again, not after I killed her. I wanted Luciano to just punish her, and maybe banish her. That was all.

I flinched slightly as Ben stopped the car at the back entrance of the castle.

"Don't get out, yet." He warned, stepping out and going to the guards that were standing by the gate.

The guards walked after a moment, with whatever he had whispered to them. He whipped around and motioned me to come and I did. Quick bursts of sweat collected around my neck and forehead as I went inside the castle.

My fingers continued to tremble, even after everything.

Ben took the servants hallway, and went upstairs to the castle where Luciano's bedroom was. It was once mine.

"Stay here, I will tip off the guards on his door." He raised his hand and motioned me to stop at the end of the hallway and I did.

My eyes flickered to the guards standing outside of Luciano's room, guarding him. He didn't even need it. No one was able to get to him.

Ben whispered a few things to the guard and they nodded their heads before marching away and disappearing into another hallway. I didn't move from my spot until he came back to me.

"Good luck," He gave me a small pat over my shoulder and then left me alone.

A strange cold spread over the depths of my body as I went over to his door, pondering whether I should knock on the door or not. I thought twice before shoving all the negativity down. I came here for a reason, I couldn't just leave without not talking to him, without not seeing him.

So, I did what I had to do. I knocked on his door and stepped back in the fear of what Luciano might do after seeing me. I was weak at that point—unable to use any of magic as I was wounded by Gretel and she didn't hesitate taking some of my powers away.

I heard my own loud heart beat, echoing in my ears as tried to keep my grip. I wanted to run. Hide somewhere. Stay far away from Gretel and Luciano. Avoid any of these two worlds.

I winced as the large, ornamented wooden door creaked open and Luciano appeared in front of me. His eyes were barely open but when he saw me, he became wide awake.

The door stretched wider and he stepped out, looking over my shoulders before he yanked me inside the room.

"What the fuck are you doing here?" He snapped, shutting the door and inching towards me.

I pursed my lips together as he took predatory steps. Fear spread across my face and I felt as if I was shrinking underneath him.

"I...I wanted to talk to you," I stuttered.

A gasp escaped my mouth as I felt my back pressed against the wall. He placed his large beside my head and hovered over me. Unable to look into his eyes, my head narrowed.

"I'm sorry,"

"About?"

"Everything," A tear escaped my eyes as I blinked. "I did wrong and I am sorry for it—for everything from lying and hurting you. I was wrong and it was my fault, no one else's." I thought I was courageous and strong but I wasn't. The powers I was gifted with was a curse as I mated to the one who I was divined to kill.

How could I do that?

Whoever chose me to end werewolves was wrong.

"I'm listening. Continue," His voice was stiff and cruel as he spoke.

"And, I'm sorry for not listening to you." I said and then looked at him who had nothing to say. He motioned me to continue with apologies as I was yet to break pride. "And, I lied..." I looked down with shame.

"About?"

After a long minute, I said the truth, "That I didn't love you. I do, I still do."

A sharp pain went through my body, wrapping me in it's embrace. My face flushed and I struggled with keeping my eyes open for another second. Losing control, I lost conscious and dropped down. 

Read the full book on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr