Chapter 42

Burying my head deeper into the pillow, I purred softly, releasing off any worries. It felt like I was sleeping on a cloud until I woke up and the pain resumed. Groaning, I glanced over at my legs that was wrapped in bandaid. My eyes lingered around, noticing that I wasn't in the castle anymore, not even in Luciano's bed. The tension eased off my face as I saw him walk in through the door.

"Why did you bring me here?" It was the same room I had been in long ago, when Luciano took me from away from Whitebridge for the first time. He bought me to this house before taking me to the castle.

I heard him scoff while opening the bottle of pills. "What else I'm supposed to do? Let everyone know you're at the castle? If you have forgotten, no one likes you." He spilled the truth before coming to my side and grabbing my hand.

"But, you do."

"Which is why you're alive so swallow," He gave me a glass of water and I took it with the pills. "Didn't know you had many injuries." I heard him murmur under his breath before he sat beside me.

"So, you forgive me?"

"I never said that," His hand reached out to my face and I winced at he touched the bruise Gretel had given me. "But, there is nothing you need to be sorry for. Leaving was your choice and I should have accepted it. The only thing went wrong was that I could protect you, and Fiona."

Hearing her name again made my heart flutter with happiness. Just in a second, my whole world came crushing down when I realized that Gretel still had my daughter.

"She...she's going to kill her," I said, my voice shaking as I sat up straight with fear in my eyes.

"Gretel won't. She knows that if she kills our daughter, she will sign her death," Luciano growled and lifted his hand away. "What did you do? Who did you come with?"

"I fought with her and then ran away, triggering her. She will do something to get me back as the eclipse is just two weeks away." I said, my eyebrows furrowed together. A stinging sensation rose up my throat as I looked around for a way to contact Lisa.

Lisa was the only one Gretel could kill to provoke me but she ran away just in time.

"It's all right. She won't do anything. I have everything under control," Luciano spoke with certainty and I believed him. He was right. With Lisa gone, Gretel couldn't kill anyone else. She'd think twice before laying a hand over my daughter.

When Luciano stood up to leave, I grabbed his hand and stopped him. "I'm sorry," I wanted to be sorry, I wanted to feel ashamed and guilty of the things I had done.

"You don't have to be sorry," he replied, acting as if everything was all right. If I didn't have to be sorry then he wouldn't act so cold against me. There was barely any emotion over his face—it was void. I couldn't understand what he was feeling.

"Please. I know you're mad at me and I want to make things okay. I'm sorry," I repeated, clutching hand on his hand.

"Everything is okay,"

"No, it isn't." I sighed, licking my lips. "If everything was okay, you wouldn't have executed Charlotte."

"She's dead, end of the story. I don't care." Luciano scoffed, shaking his head. "And, as horrible as it sounds, none of this is your fault. You did what you had to do, as a mother, it's understandable. I'm not angry or mad at you. You're free to leave whenever you wish too."

I yanked him back as he tried to go away. "I don't want to leave."

His eyes flashed at me and he replied, "Then, stay."

"Will you let me?"

"Of course," His voice was stern but barely above a whisper. "I don't have that much strength to separate my self from you so you can stay for as long as you wish."

"You won't kill me?"

"No,"

"And, your people?"

"They won't touch you without my order,"

My heart thudded in my chest. He stared hard at me when I had nothing to say anymore. All he wanted to do, ever, was just to help me and I made a whole mess out of this. I ruined our relationship when everything could have been all right.

"You should sleep. The pills are strong," He mumbled before walking out of the door without saying anything else.

I gazed at the door for a whole moment before laying down on my back. My mouth turned dry as a tear escaped my eyes.

I lost everything.

Luciano.

My daughter.

My respect.

And, everything else I had.

When I woke up again, I gasped at the sight of Jaqueline. I believed it was another vision but it wasn't. Since our talk last night, she hadn't spoken to me, about anything and whenever I tried to contact her, she cut me off.

"I'm so sorry," I said, running to where she was sitting. "I know I must've hurt you and I'm sorry for it,"

"It's all right," she nodded her head. "You came here and that's all that matters to me,"

"But, Luciano, he—"

"Changed?"

"Yes. He was different when I saw him at the party. Completely different," I doubted, shaking my head. No one could change so quickly.

Did my denial of love hurt him so much that he shut down his feelings? I even accepted it afterwards that I was lying, yet, nothing seemed to change.

"Give him some time. He will be fine," Jaqueline reassured me. "There is something else I need to discuss with you..." she trailed off.

"Yes?"

"My sisters in England were able to find a way to weaken Gretel. In a few days, she will lose most of her magic and then, I want you to kill her." She said, quickly, without taking a breath.

"What?"

"I'm forbidden to practice magic, therefore, I won't be able to do it. Luciano wants to kill Gretel by himself and he might not succeed. Which is why, I'm asking you to kill her before any of us get injured." She finished.

"But—"

"And," Jaqueline continued, cutting me off. "There was a witch that was taken into the cells last night. She was one of Gretel's witches and it's safe to assume that your daughter is being tracked."

My lips parted in surprise. Luciano never told me any of that. There was so much going on here, against Gretel and I was in the dark, thinking she was the only one planning.

Luciano's appearance at the door pulled me out of my thoughts. He leaned and glared at me, softly while I looked away, swallowing the lump in my throat.

"Feel free to kill me if you don't have your daughter back by two weeks," he said.

I froze, blinking in surprise. 

Luciano zaddy is back 😂

Read the full book on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr