Chapter 13

Red

The glorious blood moon howled and the sound of blood pounding to my ears grew with every second. I woke up in cold, my back sore with the solid ground underneath me and I felt numb. Groaning, I picked myself up and lifted my head to take a notice of my surroundings. I had given myself to the witches in exchange of saving my baby's life and Luciano's—I didn't have any other option.

There was a small window, I could see where I was but it didn't help at all. I knew I was far away from the castle or Brittleburgh. I had to be.

"Finally up," The woman belonging to the same voice as earlier said, tapping her thick, brown boots on the ground. "Oh, don't try to do any magic, I have taken away your power so you wouldn't be able to do anything."

"Where am I?" I asked, opening my eyes completely. The place—it had to be a underground cellar or something. The raw smell of blood and death was strong, lingering in the air as if someone had just bled to death.

"Around the area," she replied, turning her leg over the other one. I looked beyond her and found the other women that were once cloaked, the cloak was lifted off and their faces were shining underneath the moonlight.

I had never seen any of them.

"What do you want from me?" I asked the leader, the one who seemed to be strongest among the other's, she definitely had raw power and magic.

"Simple. Your existence comes with a purpose—a purpose you failed to do," I sat up straight at her words, my shoulders tightening. What was she even talking about?

"Killing werewolves?" I hinted.

"Yes. Every century, a witch is a born with the same purpose—to kill werewolves and vanish their existence in this human world. The previous witches failed but I'm not going to let you fail, not again." She explained, her voice crisp and gruff. The woman was old, but again, most of the witches I had came across were old.

"I don't know what you're talking about. I'm not going to kill anyone, I have stopped doing that," I said, yanking my hands but then realizing that I was chained to the wall. The chains were loose but they provided no comfort at all.

Whatever the witches wanted, I wasn't going to do any of it. Killing werewolves meant hurting Luciano and that was the last thing I wanted to do. He was my husband now, Jesus.

"Willing or not—you have to do it. If you show any struggle against completing the task then you will pray the price. You're a witch and you belong with us, in our coven, just like your mother did." She said, loudly.

"My mother?" My heart raced.

"Yes, your mother, Margie Hinton,"

"She was a part of this? She belonged to this coven?" I inquired, confused as there were barely any details about my mother.

"Yes. Wives of the Spiral Tree is the only strongest coven across the country and your mother belonged here just as you will soon,"

I fought back immediately, "I'm not going to kill any werewolves if you're expecting that," A harsh pain followed my words and I screamed as I felt my bones crumble with the everlasting agnoy. "Stop it!"

When the witch stopped, I coughed, blood, out of my mouth, it went down my lips and ruined the dress I was wearing. The oddest sensation of pain rifled through me as I looked at the witch. She wasn't going to stop anytime soon and I had no power to fight back with her.

"Let me tell you something, little Red." She stood up from the seat and walked over to me, "I'm the Queen of the witches, the strongest ones among creatures and I can train you to became just as me if you agree to help take down the abnormality in this earth," She placed her hands over her knees and bent down.

I growled, "The only abnormality here is you,"

She slapped me, it was loud and it stung my face. The clap echoed for several seconds before it died down. The metal ring on her fingers slashed and cut open my cheeks. In minutes, my wounded face was in her hands, her claws ramming inside my cheeks as she forced me to look at her.

"You will talk to me with respect or I will make sure to make your life miserable," she threatened.

I gripped onto the chains tightly, so tight that I thought they'd break with my anger, "I'm not going to do anything you want me to do. Force me all you can but we both know that I'm the only witch in existence that can kill a werewolf."

"That's right," she agreed, her face two inches away from mine, "Which is why you're going to help me kill all werewolves. They are a curse to this world,"

"I'm not going to kill anyone," I spat back.

She dropped my face and just as she turned around, a sharp pain went through my stomach, all over again and I found myself screaming for her to stop.

"If you do not agree to our terms, I will kill you and your child," she muttered between my screams.

"No, no, stop!" I cried out, holding onto the only thing that kept me sane. I couldn't loose my child. What would Luciano even think? "Fine, fine. Just stop!"

Her eyes narrowed down at me, and she stopped just as I felt my heart clench with the pain, "That's like a good witch,"

I slammed my lips shut and breathed in heavily, grabbing every ounce of air around me as blood dribbled down my mouth, "What do you want me to do?"

"Well, there is nothing you can do right now as you're pregnant but once you give birth, we will start your preparation in taking down werewolves, beginning with the king that is now your husband. Hekate, your a horrible witch, mating with the worse enemy of our kind." Her tone was terrifying but her words just made it all worse as if I had done something so bad.

I didn't even know that I was a witch until very recently.

"I won't kill Luciano,"

She yanked my face again and I groaned, "It's either going to be him or your child—decide your own fate, both of them are a disgrace,"

"You can't force me," I cried, tears pouring out of me with no intention to stop. I couldn't ever chose between Luciano and my own baby.

"Oh, I will but for now, we are going to get some things clear. Eight months till you give a baby, until then, you can live a happy life with your husband, after that, you will come to me." She said. "And if you don't, I will make sure that friend of yours dies,"

"Lisa? Where is she?" I panicked as soon as I heard her name. She was in this all because of me. "Please, let her go, I will listen to you," I promised the woman.

"Do you think I will trust a girl like you, Margie's daughter?" She scoffed, her head shaking in disbelief.

"My mother?"

"Your mother was a disappointment and if you aren't aware, she killed herself and her husband by giving herself to the rogues so they could feast on her."

I cried, "No, she wouldn't do that."

"She was too weak to face reality. She was a chosen one and all she could do was cry and cry," My heart wrenched at her words.

"Stop, stop, please stop!" My mother wasn't like that, she couldn't be. Nana told me that she was a strong woman and so was my father. They'd never kill themselves.

"Too harsh?" The woman taunted, pouting. "It's the reality so better face it, there are going to be hurdles in life so stop crying as if you were just born." 

Sorry for the pause, we will be returning to our schedule from today; Tuesday and Thursday's as usual. 

If you'd like to read the full book quicker; www.patreon.com/miakerr