Chapter 52

Luciano

The lights of the cellar flickered to life as I went inside. Whispers of spells, usage of strange languages and words echoed in my ears loud and clear. I was unable to understand what the witches were trying but I knew one thing for sure, they couldn't do any magic on my grounds.

The cellar stretched for a mile with a few hundred cells, most of them occupied by the witches that had been captured recently. Some of them were screaming at my feet, pouncing at me through the metal bars and trying to reach to me with their wicked claws.

"Let me out!" One woman shrieked.

I ignored and continued where Charter took me too. It was a small cell at the corner, beside the tall, cold walls. The keys shackled as he opened it for me.

"She's the witch." Charter said.

I glanced at her, sitting in the corner, dressed black, her face covered with mud and her hands shaking, yearning to practice witchcraft. One of witches weaknesses were when they lost magic, they grew old, dirty and smell foul, depending to the kind of magic they did.

I leaned down beside her, looking at her face. "Are you going to speak or should I force words out of your mouth?" I asked her, showing no mercy or emotion.

Her lips moved, mumbling words as her eyes shut closed. She tried hard. The witch was restrained to the wall, shackles around her legs and wrists so she couldn't move.

It was a few days back when we had captured one of Gretel's closest witches—Heather—she had served her for years, standing beside her during her ruling.

When the witch didn't speak, I cocked my head to Charter and order. "Get the fire. Burn her, maybe she will speak then."

The witch whimpered when Charter reached for the candle hanging on the wall. "What do you want to know?" She asked, finally giving up after days of being tortured by my men.

Capturing witches and holding them against their will was one way to weaken Gretel. She couldn't be the Queen of witches if her subjects were all dead or being tortured.

"Where is the village?"

"Far north. It's called Armagh," The witch replied, her gaze fierce as fire, almost stabbing me.

I gave her a smile. "Thank you for the information." I stood back up and motioned Charter to burn her anyway. Once the information was out of the witches, they were burned to death.

"No!" The witch screamed. "Don't kill me. I know more but if I tell you, you've to promise me that you won't kill me."

"What else do you know?"

"First, promise me you won't kill me." She asked.

"I won't."

"The witch who has your daughter is strong and you can't get to her. She'll run away if she learns about your presence at the village." Heather explained but then stopped for a split second. "I've her number,"

"Well, I'm waiting."

Heather hesitated for a minute before giving the number of the witch that was holding my daughter. Once Charter had noted it down, I grabbed the candle off the wall and threw it over the witch's cloak, burning her.

She screamed, thrashing her hands all around and trying to put out the fire but it continued to burn, suck the evil out of her and then kill her.

"No, stop! You promised."