Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Red

"Lisa! Oh god, what are you doing here? We were finding you," I said, jumping off the scheduled gate and getting on the other side where Lisa was standing but as soon as she saw me, she backed away as fright crawled into her eyes. Something was wrong and I could sense it.

"No, no, Red, you can't be here. What are you doing here? Why are you in Whitebridge? This isn't safe for you!" She exclaimed, ignoring all of my questions.

"What happened to you, Lisa?" I asked, placing my hand over her shoulder and grasping her so she couldn't run as that was her intention. "Where did you go? Where were you?"

"You can't be here," she repeated again. "This town isn't safe for you,"

I groaned at her ignorance. I repeatedly questioned about her and she kept telling me that this place wasn't safe for me. I lived here for more than eighteen years–of course it was going to be safe for me.

"Are you okay? Actually, come with me," I turned around to leave with her but she stopped me and pulled back aggressively.

"I can't go with you," From her teary face and red cheeks, I could tell that she was crying. She had a change of clothes and Lisa didn't look like she was okay at all. Her fingers were trembling as she played and circled around with a piece of cloth in her hand. "You won't understand,"

"What happened? Did someone do something?"

She narrowed down her eyes and tears fell out, "I can't tell you. There is someone here, Red and it's horrible–they are wicked and they want to destroy everything. They are keeping me as a hostage to get to you but you have to leave, you need to go back to Brittleburgh before the mating ceremony or they'll come and take you."

"What are you talking about, Lisa?" Her words frightened me as they made no sense apart from that someone was with her.

"You need to go. You need to be with Luciano. You need to be protected or they'll take you," she mumbled again, her words breaking as she gasped each time.

"Who? Who are you talking about?"

"The ones who practice dark magic, the ones who rise back from the dead, the ones who are against you,"

"Witches?" I asked, furrowing my brows. I was well aware that they were witches covens around the area but I was assure that they couldn't mean any harm to me.

"Yes but they are worse and you need to go," she pushed her hand towards mine and moved me back. "They rise people from the dead,"

"Lisa, please, you're terrifying me now. Just come with me and I will take you back to the castle or your family, they'll keep you protected," I said to her.

She shook her head and snapped her head at a whisper that came from the shadows. She turned around and froze, "They are here, you need to go, right now!" She exclaimed.

"Lisa," I called out her name as she moved back. I cocked my head at the direction where I heard whispers and found no one. "Please, come with me."

"Goodbye, Red."

A loud horn of a bus passing by echoed around the park and I turned around. My heart hammered in my throat. It's just a bus, Red. I reminded myself. When I turned back to see Lisa, she was gone, she was nowhere around, long gone with whatever was in the shadows. The wind rustled and silence invaded the grounds. I stayed on my spot for another moment, waiting for her to return but she never did.

When I arrived back home, I found Nana asleep. I pulled out the calendar and look at the date. The mating ceremony was going to be in a few weeks as the blood moon was occurring quicker this year. It didn't worry me until the moment Lisa told me that they were going to come on the mating ceremony to take me. Who?

"Red," I flinched at the sound and turned around to see my Nana walking out of her bedroom with sleep obvious in her eyes. "Did you go somewhere?" She asked, plopping on the couch.

"Yes, I went for a walk and to meet Mrs. Jacob, she needed to know about Lisa." I replied to her.

"Oh,"

"Nana, can I ask you something?"

"Of course,"

"Do you know about any witch covens residing around here? In Whitebridge or around the area?" I asked.

She thought about it for a second and then shook her head, "None that I know off. Your mother belonged to a coven but she never went in details about it,"

I nodded my head and continued to think. Nana barely knew anything about my mother, it seemed as if my mother kept her witch lifestyle away from Nana and my father.

"Why are you curious now?" She asked.

I shrugged as I didn't want her to be worried about me, "Nothing—it's just that I want to know if there are any covens around, just in case."

"Honey, if they were, I would've known. Werewolves don't get along with witches. You should ask Luciano, they keep tabs on all the covens around here," she suggested and by they she meant by the Blackmaw Manes, the pack Luciano belonged too.

"I will. Are you hungry? I learned a skill or two back in the castle," I asked, changing the topic.

"Oh, do those skills involve cooking?"

"Maybe. Do you want to try it out?"

"Of course," she giggled as I walked inside the kitchen.

The reality was, I still didn't know how to cook as I never did it in the castle but during the training, I learned a bit of cooking from Jaqueline–it was part of being a queen and a mate to a werewolf king.

Turning the stove on, I placed a pot over the fire and practiced my skill while my Nana watched the TV and read books. A thought ran across my head and I grabbed my phone from the counter and dialed up Luciano's number. Looking at the screen, I realized that he had called me a few times now but I hadn't noticed it as I was too busy with dealing with Nana and then Lisa who I was still worried about.

When I called him back, he instantly picked up and said, "Hello, princess,"

"Hey," I replied. It had been a while now since I last heard his voice.

"How are you? I called you a few times, were you busy?" He inquired.

"Yes, I was with my Nana, bonding over tea and backbiting about you," I said with a chuckle.

"Ah, I was expecting that, I hope you didn't went in details!"

By details, he meant the bedroom stuff, "No, I didn't. I wanted to actually you something," I said, scratching the back of my head.

"Mhm, go on."

I let out a deep, steadying breath and then asked, "When are the males of your pack coming to Whitebridge?"

"For the mating ceremony you mean?"

"Yes,"

It had been a few months since Luciano picked me off the cathedral just a few minutes away from Nana's house, I was terrified then but it turned out to the best few months of my life. There were a few regrets but being mated to Luciano was the best thing that could've ever happened to me.

"I don't know. I think next week. Why? Do you want me to take you as well on that day? Repeat history again?" He asked in a flirtatious tone. I could sense him grinning with thrill.

"Yes,"

Read the full book on patreon quicker: www.patreon.com/miakerr