Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Silence enveloped around us as the car went through the official sign of Brittleburgh. The unusual air awakened me and my eyes snapped open. I looked over at Luciano who had his eyes set on me.

"Good morning, princess." He said, a smile taking over his features. He rubbed his hand over my back and comforted me as we entered the town.

"It's still night," I scoffed, peeking out of the windows.

The town was strange and stranger this time as it was completely empty. There was no one walking on the pavements, the only car that was on the road was ours and the even the lights were switched off. I was gone for a day and everyone was mourning–or maybe everyone was celebrating that I was gone.

Or maybe it was because it was the middle of the night and no one was bothered to stay awake.

"You have to apologize to a few people–"

Before he could say it, I said, "Like your parents and the whole entire council?"

"Yes. It will be all right. The chaos has to settle down one day. They'll be mad at you for a while but it will get better," Luciano explained.

I heard Ben scoff in disregard, "Yeah, if she stops killing,"

I jolted towards him but Luciano grabbed me back and stopped me, "We don't want anyone else to die,"

"But he has been teasing me since he came to the forest!"

"He's just joking, princess,"

When we arrived at the castle, it was quiet as well, the only wolves awake there were the two guards standing outside the gate. God knew what all went down here when I left. For the most part, I was sitting inside a cell for days and all I saw and heard was nothing. According to Luciano, Charlotte's funeral was set early in the morning and there was no activity after that. My only regret was killing Charlotte–I could've done other things and kept her alive but the anger got the best out of me.

"Come on. We should get some rest," Luciano said, pulling the car door open for me. I stepped out and the air of the castle attacked me from all sides.

"What about Lisa?" I inquired, walking along with him inside.

"Ben will take care of that. He's concerned as well,"

I looked back and found Ben driving away from the castle. I did trust him but at the same time, I doubted that he could find Lisa alone. She was just beside me a few hours ago and now, she was lost.

"Are you sure he can handle it?"

"Yes. We–especially you, need to get rest. You had a very long day!" He replied.

We stepped inside our bedroom and for the first time, it felt different–I felt different. My talisman, the pendant my mother had given me, rested on my chest with ease as I walked inside. Luciano switched on the lights and let out a heavy breath before plopping on the bed and stretching.

"Come to me, princess."

My heart tugged at the sight of him smiling and leaning against the headboard. I walked over to him and sat by his side–uncertainty still lingering in my core. What if Luciano only wanted me because I was bearing his child? After all, my child was going to be the heir to their throne.

"How did you know that I was pregnant?" I asked him.

"My mother told me. She was doubtful at first but when you ran away, she was confirmed. Why didn't you tell me?" He held my hand and asked. "You know that I was under pressure and with all going around, I couldn't think straight."

"Does it changes everything?" He cocked his brow in confusion, "I mean–does the baby, the pregnancy changes everything? Is the child the reason why you want me back? Would you have let me live if I wasn't pregnant?"

Luciano took a moment for himself. The smile faded off his lips and he shook his head in defeat, "I'll be honest, Red, I don't know. The past few days had been a struggle for me. I couldn't come into terms with letting you die but at the same time, there were too people against you existence. It doesn't matters anymore because now, I want you whether the baby is there or not." I could feel his heart and eyes speaking to me.

It would take time for trust and love but we'd be one again.

"There is something I want..." I trailed off, confusing him.

"And, what is that?"

"I want vows, something I want to believe in, something I can trust, your name with mine." I said, looking into his eyes.

"You want me to marry you?"

"Yes,"

"Why?"

"I don't want a child out of wedlock, Luciano and there are so many other reasons." I frowned. When he stayed silent, I asked, "Don't you want this? A family? A wife?"

He shook his head, "It's not like that. I never thought about it," Hesitation was clear in his voice. He sounded like he didn't want it.

"Well, you should. I'm carrying your baby, and I'm basically with you all the time. A marriage will bind us together–as one." I explained.

"Let me think about it, Red."

"Fine,"

I moved my hand away from his and stood up. He had all the time to think about it. Not like any other woman would be his wife. King's and Queen's married each other, right? It would strengthen us as a couple and I wouldn't fear for my life again as I'd be his wife. It was against my religion to have sex with someone out of marriage, yet I did, I sinned–a dozen times for him, I did everything he wanted me to do. This was the smallest thing he could do to return back the favor and settle the fear in my heart.

Yet he was hesitating.

I laid down on the bed beside him, keeping a little distance. He didn't say anything after that and neither did I. My own thoughts kept me awake the entire night but I was able to get sleep when the sun rose.

Read the full book on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr | updates here are on Tuesdays and Thursdays