Chapter 43

I felt my self shrinking underneath the presence of Jaqueline and Luciano. I was more regretful and humiliated than ever. And, there was nothing I could say or do that would make things better.

Jaqueline got off her seat and left me alone to speak with Luciano.

It truly shook me, how he didn't care about what I had done. Or maybe he did. I couldn't ever know that.

I flinched back as he came down and sat on his knees in front of me. His hand reached out for my leg, peeking at the wounds.

"Are you feeling better?" He asked, holding the leg that I had lost most of the blood from.

"Yes," I replied, heat rising in my cheeks. It took me back to the day when he fucked me. It almost felt like yesterday but a week had passed by since then, since I last broke his heart.

"Well, it's going to be fine in a few days. You shouldn't walk much," His expression was cold yet hinting remorse and affection for me.

I tore my gaze away from my leg and looked at him, staring deep into his eyes. Clearly my throat, I asked, "Could I go see my Nana? I was supposed to see her earlier but Lisa didn't let me."

Luciano stood up and pulled out his phone, "I will have someone take you there,"

"Can you take me?" I straightened my back and asked. A strange tightness grew in my chest whenever I spoke with him, but, I had to accept the change. I switched sides in a snap of a second and changed my self entirely just after listening to Gretel and her sob stories.

"Fine. Freshen up, I will take you." He murmured before walking out of the door again.

I sighed and closed my eyes, trying to take in everything. A few moments later, I stood up and walked over to the washroom to clean up and change into something much comfortable. I was taken back when I found most of my clothes in the wardrobe, neatly placed and untouched.

He hadn't even moved my things.

Taking one of the comfortable dresses, I wore it and went outside to find Luciano seated on the couch. He was on phone with someone. I scurried into the kitchen, trying to find something to eat while he spoke with whoever was on the phone.

I ate up whatever I found and went back outside. The estranged look on his face was still there, it hadn't changed.

"Done?"

"Yes,"

The ride to Brittleburgh was quiet and filled with emotions that neither of us dared to spill. I was no longer in the position to say anything to Luciano—and he, I didn't know what happened.

"There is something I wanted to ask," He trailed off in the middle of the ride.

"Yes?"

"Do you have the stone that I had given you on our wedding night?"

Wow.

That was the worse moment to remember our wedding night that went horrible. It was the first time I saw Gretel and submitted to her. She threatened to kill Luciano if I didn't go with her. And, after all that, it took me a while to understand that she couldn't kill him. She couldn't kill a wolf.

"Charlotte took it from me. I don't know where she kept it," I said, quickly.

"What?" Hitting the breaks, Luciano snapped his eyes on me and asked. "Fuck, Red."

"She took it by force. What else was I supposed to do? Stop her?" That was all after she bruised me and almost killed my child.

"No," He inhaled and continued driving, "Of course there is nothing you can do,"

Excuse me? Was that an insult?

"What do you mean?"

"Nothing,"

"Maybe you should've asked her before killing her and she would've told you. What the big fucking deal with anyway?" I was furious. There were some things that I couldn't stop and one of that was this.

"Don't fucking curse at me," He growled.

"Maybe you should stop cursing at me,"

His eyes sniped at me before he said, "Shut up. I will find it my self,"

I didn't participate in the argument any further. It was a nice way for Luciano to show his anger at me. At least he had some emotions intact. I folded my hands across my chest and looked out of the window, waiting for this ride to be over already.

When we reached Brittleburgh, we went straight to my Nana's house that didn't look any different. She was the first person I had missed the most throughout all those months. There wasn't a single time that Gretel allowed me to see her.

Luciano stopped the car and got out. "I had been visiting her every other week, and she hasn't stopped talking about you." He stood underneath the blazing sunlight and said.

"Really?" The corner of my lips tugged up slowly.

"Yes. Not everyone is mindless,"

I reached for the door handle but it was already open. My brows scrunched up and I pushed a finger at the door before it slid open completely. Nana never kept her house unlocked.

I went inside with excitement surging through me but when I didn't find her, the feeling faded away.

"Is she gone somewhere?" I asked, stepping inside her room that was undone. The sheets were scattered and the room was untidy.

Another thing that Nana never did.

"I don't know. She must've." Luciano replied, appearing behind me.

I looked around the house for her, searching the washroom and every other bedroom. The room that was once mine was closed, cleaned and untouched as if no one had been in there for months.

Just above my bed, there was a window and right outside, I saw my Nana's scarf hanging from the roof.

Concern spread across my features and I left the house to go to the backyard.

"What's wrong?" Luciano asked, following me to the backyard.

Nana was never messy, she always kept the house clean except for now, it was all messed up as if someone had been here.

As if Gretel had been here.

I stopped on my tracks when my gaze landed on my Nana, laying on the ground, dead. 

Oh no. RIP, Nana! 

Read the full book on patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr