Chapter 15

Red

The fog was dimmed, the grass bristled against my skin like fur as my eyes peeled open to the bright, raging sunlight scorning across the area. I squinted and then groaned as pain washed over me, realizing all that I had been through. I wasn't in the underground cellar anymore, not trapped or chained, I was freed.

The witches have must freed me.

I turned around, enjoyed the few seconds of birds chirping and the sounds of nature that provided me with the comfort I was looking for. It was all destroyed when I tasted the thick, metallic blood go down my throat and then, I coughed, getting up.

I continued to cough out blood for several seconds, my abdomen tightened and the nostalgic memory of the witches and Charlotte went through my head. My shoulder ached where she had stabbed me, the wound had stopped bleeding but the pain was still there.

Unable to move, I tried getting up but fell back down, my breathing heavy and my limbs sore. I needed help. My eyes were swollen and I couldn't look properly but I got a gist of where I was—in a great, misty field. I looked above me and found a spiral tree, standing thick and huge, providing me with shade.

Wives of the Spiral Tree.

The witches, they all belonged to that coven and so did my mother.

I moved my hand over my stomach, above my cervix, trying to feel a heartbeat but I sensed nothing, absoutely nothing. I was so miserable that I didn't even know whether my baby was alive or not. My own blood covered the dress I was wearing, it was soaked in it, and it smelled horrible.

I closed my eyes and laid straight on my back. I was helpless and I had no idea where to go or who to call for help—like that was even an option. Each time I moved, the agony increased and the pain crumbled me from within.

I closed my eyes but the beam of sunlight danced over me, telling me to get up and make my way out of the field. The field had no end, at least to where I could see. There were trees afar, but I could barely see them, just their silhouettes.

Get up, Red.

A voice whispered to me and I found a little of strength to stand straight. Blood curdled around my head and beads of sweats bursted across.

I needed to go.

I limped, slowly, but I did, making my way towards the forest. It was a long way but I needed to embark it. I needed to go back home. Home. Luciano.

I broke into a jog and went quicker. It was several minutes after I reached the trees, the forest in the middle of nowhere. I looked back and saw the bright field. How did I even reach here? Where was I? Thoughts ran across my head as I sat down to get my breathing under control.

When I heard howls, I lifted my head, hope coursing through me. Wolves were around. The howls increased and after every second or so, I heard a wolf howl. My vision dimmed as I narrowed down on the mud.

Just as I was about to close my eyes, a hand came down and wrapped around my waist. Saving me.

I swallowed the blood in my mouth, "Ben?"

"Yes, it's me, stay put and stay awake." He whispered, his tone fill with panic as he let out another howl, calling all the other wolves around the area.

"I want to go home. I want to go to Luciano," I whispered, my heart racing at a speed that frightened me.

"He's here. Just stay awake, all right? It's going to be fine, love." He assured, holding onto me tight.

The high-pitched howls came to an end and a savage wolf appeared in front of me. I could recognize it was Luciano's wolf. As soon as he shifted into a human, he ran into my direction, grabbing me and holding onto me with whatever strength he had left. I clutched onto him with my life. Never letting him go. Once wrapped in his embrace, I felt all my worries sink and disappear into the oblivion.

His hand ran down my hair and I pressed my head against his bare chest, listening closely to his heartbeat that thundered in my ears. My breathing calmed down and after fighting for so long, I forced my lungs to open up and relax for the few moments I had.

Luciano's hand went underneath my hips and he lifted me off the ground, his breathing still heavy, "I'm going to take you to the hospital, all right?"

I nodded my head and peeked through his shoulder, my tired eyes darting in all directions. I was still terrified. Memories of last night weren't going to leave me any time.

But, I was saved now.

Found and taken.

We arrived at the hospital a few minutes later, and I was quickly put onto a bed and taken inside the ICU unit where a thin tube was shoved down my throat and a few other injections were pushed inside my hands and wrist. The constant beeping of my heartbeat and all the other noises drove me crazy. I was fine.

I just needed to know whether my baby was fine or not.

Luciano was beside me the entire time, my vision was still a little blur so I kept my eyes closed, waiting for this all to be over. I heard the doctors saying that there wasn't a lot of bleeding. There were a few injuries, over my arm, my face and my legs but it wasn't anything severe.

Once my breathing was under control, the tube inside my mouth and nose was removed and I was able to breathe on my own. Nothing came out of me, my throat was dry and I was barely able to speak. I yearned to spill everything about Charlotte and witches to Luciano but it had to wait.

When a nurse walked in to check on the baby, I held my breath, my fingers curling as I braced myself. It took a few minutes before she smiled at me.

"The baby is healthy," she said and I let out a breath of relief. "However, you aren't so you have to be extra cautious about yourself. The injuries weren't severe and there hasn't been any nerve damage but you are weak. You need to take care of yourself during this entire pregnancy,"

I nodded my head, my lips curling into a tight smile. It's what all I cared about. The baby.

The nurse looked over at Luciano and took him outside to speak with him. He returned back a couple of minutes later. Sitting beside me, he placed his hand over mine and kissed my forehead.

"Everything is okay, the baby is fine and you'll heal in a few days." He said to me, softly. "The nurse is going to take your blood and then we will leave, okay?"

I nodded.

Read the full book on patreon quicker; www.patreon.com/miakerr