Chapter 32

Chapter 32

Red

The snow storm subsided, revealing warmth as we travelled through the roads, approaching Brittleburgh and the Blackmaw Castle. The witchy odor I had was hidden with a spell and the woman who took me to the town was also a witch. We had only a small chance to pass through the patrols that had magnificent powers to sniff out witches and hold them against their wills.

Witches had gone missing over the past few weeks, some of them were claimed to be dead while the others were locked up at the castle, under the command of Luciano.

The car stopped by the border of the town and I jumped back as I saw the creatures. The wolves were enormous, bigger than usual and danger swam in their eyes as they panted around our cars, sniffing heavily.

A man, familiar but not really, approached us, taking our names.

"What are you here for?" the man asked. I had seen him once, around the castle but the memory wasn't too vivid to remember again.

"My husband—Charles, was invited to this ball and he wanted us to attend it," Pearl said, rolling down the windows and showing the invitation to the wolf.

The man looked at the invitation and nodded his head. He returned the paper back to Pearl and asked, "Is that your daughter?" His eyes burned into mine and I looked away before he started recognizing me. It was dark and I was covered in a cloak yet I feared being noticed.

The color of my hair was changed from ginger to dull brown so the wolves couldn't recognise me. My task was only to get to Jaqueline and Luciano before anything else.

"Yes, Meredith," Pearl said, looking at me and smiling. She was supposed to keep an eye out for me and ensure my return back to Gretel.

"All right," The man nodded and gestured the wolves to back away.

As soon as the creatures moved, Pearl drove away and entered the gates that led to the town where the castle was. My mind went numb when I looked at the town. Memories rushed back to my head, storming the negative thoughts as I remembered each and every single moment here—with Luciano.

A hand came down my shoulder and I was pulled out of my thoughts.

"We are going to stay at this place for tonight but will be moving tomorrow morning. The ball is at evening so rest with ease," Pearl said to me as she stopped the car in front of a house.

It was a classic French-styled house and quite spacious for both of us. Once settled, I changed and took a shower before laying down on the foreign bed. There was no way I was going to rest with ease after knowing that Luciano was just a ten minute drive away from here. I had forgotten about him but the moments we had together could never be forgotten.

I still had to keep my distance and do whatever Gretel wanted in order to get my daughter back.

I shifted on the other side of my bed and slid my hand underneath my head while looking outside the window.

The centuries-old castle stood upright over a hill, moonlight reflected over it's medieval walls and the massive towers tore through the clouds. The sounds of people cheering, laughter and wolves howling bouncing off the walls in there, echoed in my ears.

And, it was hard to imagine that once the castle belonged to me and I was a queen. A chill ran through me and a warm tear slipped down my cheeks. I shut my eyes, along with my thoughts and fell asleep.

It all had to be over someday.

Pearl's fingers went down my back and she tightened the loose strings of the corset. I leaned over the table and held my breath back as she dressed me up.

"Are you going to come as well?" I asked her, my eyes still closed.

"Of course," she replied, twisting another string. Her hands left my body and she lifted the dress off the bed. "I've to be there,"

"Is it necessary?" I pushed my hands through the holes of the dress. Nothing fitted me anymore. I had gained a lot of weight after giving birth. "I mean—I don't want cause any trouble for you," I clarified to her before she assumed something wrong and ran to Gretel, telling her I wasn't on her side anymore.

"Don't worry, no one will be able to recognize us. I've done this a thousand times," Pearl sighed before zipping up the dress. She was one of Gretel's lady.

I wanted to come alone but Gretel couldn't agree to that. She was worried about me and that I'd run away after meeting with Luciano. I scoffed at her words as she still had my daughter and Fiona was more important than anything else.

After getting dressed, I looked at the mirror and found the golden flecks of my eyes shining underneath the sunlight. The party was going to be after the sun went down—just an hour away.

I didn't feel anything, no rush of happiness or fear, I was simply numb.

"Anyway, you can do your makeup and everything else, right?" Pearl asked and I nodded my head. The problem was just getting inside the dress. "Great! I'm going to go get dressed as well. I will be back and do your hair,"

I gave her a nod again and she walked out of the room, going to another room inside the house. The house belonged to someone the witches had killed a few years ago and now, they ran their secret business here—spying on the King and his pack.

The rental car arrived at our door step at six o'clock. Making my way to the living room, I found Pearl waiting for me.

"Are we going to go now?"

"Yes," Before she walked out, she handed me a mask, "Wear it. Everyone at the castle will recognize you if you don't,"

It was a black, netted mask. I took it from Pearl and placed it above my eyes before knotting it behind my hair.

"Remember what you have to do, don't get mixed up with something else. Your attention should be at Luciano at all times and don't mention anything about me or another witch," Pearl went through the plan again and I just kept nodding until she finished.

To think I'd listen to her.

Pfft.

Once ready, we went inside the car and it drove away from the house and towards the castle where I was going to be reunited with Luciano after eight months.

Read the three books of this series on Patreon; www.patreon.com/miakerr (For as low as $3!)