Chapter 18

Red

Winter 19th December, 2006

"The Queen is going to give birth!"

The entire castle was filled with rumors when I woke up, arms locked with Luciano. I peeked outside the windows and found the snow filling up the blanketed grounds of Brittleburgh. It was a lovely weather to give birth in, definitely chilling but still beautiful. The winter sun brought a lot of crystalline snow and it wasn't going to end anytime soon.

My eyes followed down from the window to the baby cot that had been recently placed inside my room. A large red cloth fell from the roof onto the baby cot that was covered in silk and velvet. The bright, golden lights jumped around it, waiting for the arrival of the baby.

I smiled at it and then turned around to face Luciano. His eyes slowly parted and he looked at me, still sleepy.

"I think we should get up," I mumbled to him.

He shook his head and pulled me closer to his embrace, "I think we should just stay on bed for the rest of the day,"

"You do know that I've to give birth in these few days?" I asked, hoping he'd remember. "Maybe we should walk around the town," I suggested.

As I wasn't giving birth to a human, I was under the guidance of the healers inside the castle and Jaqueline who had helped me the most throughout the pregnancy. It was easy for the most of the part but in the fourth month, I started spiralling, sunk into depression that took over my head and body and I lost control of everything. It took weeks for me to smile again and look through the pain of the past.

It if weren't for Jaqueline and Luciano, I wouldn't know where I'd be now. During the fourth month, I started getting visions and dreams, it all happened because Gretel got inside my head through her powerful magic. She forced nightmares upon me, showing how'd kill everyone including Luciano. Jaqueline was able to lift off the spell and it was soon I returned back to being normal.

Luciano shifted on the bed and groaned, "Why do we need to go anywhere?" He asked.

"Because I want to walk and being on the bed doesn't gives me a lot of options," I yelled, standing up straight. Along with pregnancy came mood-swings, one moment I was all cheerful and the other moment, I was pissed, raging like a bitch.

"All right!" Luciano got up with me, "Let's go,"

"Good," I grunted and got off the bed to freshen up. It was the ninth month and I had to give birth in these days or else I had to go through consequences. I wanted to give natural birth than getting my stomach cut open and that could be only possible if I stayed active during these last few days.

"Good morning, your majesty. Shall I bring your breakfast here or will you being joining the rest of us?" Valarie asked as I opened the bedroom door and invited her in.

"I will be joining the others. Could you do me a favor and tidy up the room, set up a few candles if possible? I want everything to be perfect when I give birth," I asked her and she nodded her head.

"Of course, I will get onto it."

"Thank you, Valarie."

"Best of luck,"

It took a while before everything got settled down at the castle. I was crowned the Queen again under the request of Vincent and a few other members of the werewolf council. I was giving a heir to the throne and in return, they granted my position back, just beside the King.

The castle was cleared out in the past few months, only servants, guards and several wolves were allowed to stay in the castle. Everyone else resided in the town and the castle was only used for important meetings and large gatherings that happened once in a while.

Luciano and I intended to move away from the castle after giving birth. We wanted to live in the town, merge with the others while keeping the werewolf world under control. It was our idea of a perfect future. We wanted to provide a normal life for our child.

Just like every morning, Luciano and I visited Jaqueline to check on the baby. I sat down over the wooden rocking chair while Jaqueline placed her hand on my over-growing stomach and sensed the child's heartbeat.

"It's doing pretty good," she whispered, smiling.

"I have been getting a lot of kicks these days," I said to her and she giggled.

"That's because the baby wants to come out. You should go in labor after sun down, it's the best time. The full moon promises a new life," she said, slowly opening her eyes and looking at me.

"Tonight?"

"Yes, my child. The earlier the better or else you'll be in pain," she answered back before lifting her hand away from my stomach.

I huffed out a puff and then looked over at Luciano who didn't utter a word. "Should I?" I asked him.

"Of course,"

The contractions increased when I got off the chair to return back to my chambers. I wanted to give birth in this castle as it was the only safest place around. The preperations began when I agreed to going in labor after sundown. Jaqueline was never wrong in anything and listening to her was the right thing.

There had been a few sightings of witches around the area and I was the one to suspect it first. Witches were a threat to me and my child. Jaqueline's magic held them off the castle but they were still lingering around the town, waiting for me to give birth so they could take me to Gretel.

"The town borders have been secured, your majesty." A royal guard appeared on our bedroom door and said to Luciano.

"Is there anything else required to ensure the queen's safety? We shouldn't be interrupted at all for the next few days so hold off any meetings and make certain that no one steps in and out of the castle." He responded, his voice heavy with distress.

"Yes, your majesty, I will check up on that and cancel any meetings."

"You can leave now and keep me updated if something goes wrong," Luciano said to the royal guard before he left us alone.

Everyone in the castle, from the guards to the cooks were all tested, making sure they all belonged to the pack and none of them were a threat to me.

After the guard left, Luciano spun around and smirked at me. "Everything is set, my princess." He placed his hands over my legs and bent down to kiss my stomach. "Everything will go on accordingly,"

My heart skipped a beat and I turned away, looking outside, "Something is still troubling me,"

"What is it, Red?" He asked, concern in his voice.

"I don't know. I'm just really scared. I don't want to lose anything,"

"You won't,"

Regardless of all the comforting words I received from Luciano and Jaqueline, my heart was still not at rest and there was still something heavy holding me back—it was the fear of being taken away from my child.

Gretel found no use of me earlier because I was pregnant but after this all was over, she would want me more than ever. I pushed aside the negativity and relaxed for a while in my own chambers until the midwives arrived to assist me through the birth.

It was finally going to happen.

Read the full book on patreon quicker; www.patreon.com/miakerr